+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Brunswick 2020

Anyone else having issues with a lot of nitre or sugar sand this season ? My first run of finished syrup was crystal clear but every batch since then has had a lot of sediment in it. Very frustrating. I'm using the same filter method I used last year and I never had this issue. Any advice would be helpful
    Maple syrup enthusiast

I've had alot of Nitre as well. The filters clog quickly and I end up with some fine Nitre in my bottles as well. I wish I had advice, but other than filtering again, I don't know what would get rid of it. I had alot last year too. I'm still getting that Meringue like foam too after it goes through the filters. 4 prefilters and 1orlon. I've noticed others having the bubbles when bottling. They don't seem to go away either.

Thanks Maple Lady. Now i know at least it's just not something I'm doing wrong. Must just be the season.
    Maple syrup enthusiast

Finished up yesterday. I have to get something quicker for that last little bit. Boiling on a turkey burner takes forever for 5gallons of sweet. Now for my least favourite part, the clean up. I ended up with just over 31 litres, not as good as last year, but still good for me. I hope you guys that are still going get a good run.

I pulled my taps on Monday as I boiled down the last of my sap in the sugar shack. Cleaned the pails and spiles yesterday while I finished the syrup at the house. Ended up taking it too far and it turned out very cloudy and with a lot of nitre. My wife will probably end up cooking with it. This year has definitely been more challenging then last year. I think I'll start using a hydrometer next year. I still had more syrup to finish today and it turned out great so the season ended on a good note. Hope you all enjoyed the season and now its time to enjoy the sweet product.
    Maple syrup enthusiast

Finished off Saturday, fairly good year, somewhat disappointed that our sap was never very clear all season. Not sure whether the ground wasn't froze or what the deal was. Result was darker syrup, which is ok, because most of our customers want dark, but it's not as pretty. Not positive what our total was one of my brothers figured it up while I was cleaning & forgot to ask.
    Murray

Somewhere around 800 - 900 taps on Atlas Copco vacuum
    1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    2 1/2 x 10 Waterloo/Small, with Piggyback & hood,
    Air over & under fire
    CDL autodrawoff, Homemade drawoff/filter tank with pump,
    Lapierre Sirofilter, modified steam pan bottler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234