+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Brunswick 2020

We're about 1/2 tapped, hopefully finish by the weekend. It's taking a little longer this year, we're dropping most multi tap trees down to one. We've tapped these trees along time, lots of holes in them! We're thinking it should be better for the longevity of the trees. Not really loosing that many, because some of the smaller trees are big enough now. Has run a bit but we like to wash the tubing out anyway for the first few days. Not sure what's going to happen next week.
    Murray

Somewhere around 800 - 900 taps on Atlas Copco vacuum
    1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    2 1/2 x 10 Waterloo/Small, with Piggyback & hood,
    Air over & under fire
    CDL autodrawoff, Homemade drawoff/filter tank with pump,
    Lapierre Sirofilter, modified steam pan bottler

Got my taps in today. Trees were running good here this afternoon. Hoping to have the first boil of the season next weekend if the weather holds.
    Maple syrup enthusiast

We finished tapping on Saturday. Have some line repairs & lots of cleaning left to do. Got the vacuum going yesterday, no leaks on the front section, mainly on the lines that the "repair crew"hasn't been through yet. Weather doesn't look great this week, but the following looks good.
    Murray

Somewhere around 800 - 900 taps on Atlas Copco vacuum
    1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    2 1/2 x 10 Waterloo/Small, with Piggyback & hood,
    Air over & under fire
    CDL autodrawoff, Homemade drawoff/filter tank with pump,
    Lapierre Sirofilter, modified steam pan bottler

Most of my trees were running here in the Fredericton area today. Hoping to have enough for the first boil this weekend.
    Maple syrup enthusiast

Good luck all, this year looks like a good one. I received "the call" the day after I started cleaning my barrels and pan for the year. Surgery for thyroid cancer on Thursday....no heavy lifting for at least 2 weeks. I ACTUALLY paused for a moment when they told me the day.....first thought, "****!, Sap season will be in full swing by the time I can do anything! Maybe I can get them to reschedule...." and then I thought better of it. Plus, my wife woukd have literally killed me.

I'll be watching all your posts....have a great season and make steam as long as you can!

Rob
    2014 - 6 buckets, 4 coffee cans and a propane burner - almost 40L of sap and 1.6L of syrup
    2015 - 103 taps on gravity. Homemade oil tank arch and a Smoky Lake 2' X 5' hybrid. - 2.66 gallons of syrup
    2016 - 101 taps, 550 gallons of sap, ~10 gallons of syrup all dark.
    2017 - 138 taps, 225 gallons of sap, 5.55 gallons of dark syrup, still procrastinating on the vac.
    2018 - ~150 taps, I lost track of the sap it was incredible!, over 20 gal of syrup, all dark.

Marvel26
    Sorry to here about that. I'll be saying prayers for you. My daughter went through that and came out just fine. I am sure you will too. Sorry to here that its during sugaring season. Getting it taken care of now though will make sure you have many sugaring seasons ahead in your future.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Sorry to hear that Marvel. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Take care.
    Not sure how the other folks are fairing for the sap season, mine is no where near as good as last year. I hope to be able to collect another Barrell this week but the forecast isn't looking too great on the weather network. I hope others are doing well.

Yes thoughts and prays for you and your family Marvel. I have collected about 120 litres of sap over the last week. Some trees I tapped have southern exposure for most of the day in full sun light and are giving a lot of sap. My other trees have hardly ran yet. I’m just putting the finishing touches on my new oil barrel evaporator so I’m hoping to boil this week sometime. Hang in there the sap has to run sooner or later.
    Maple syrup enthusiast

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Marvel...your health comes first. The prognosis for thyroid cancer is better than many. Hoping you recover quickly and completely and are able to get at least a little sugaring in. Good luck to you and your family.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thanks all, for the kind words.

In terms of the big C this is the one you want, apparently. Had pre-op today and they said that Covid-19 may cancel surgeries....I was thinking, "Oh for the love of PETE!, it better NOT after missing the first half of the season! "

I have a problem...I accept it... lol
    2014 - 6 buckets, 4 coffee cans and a propane burner - almost 40L of sap and 1.6L of syrup
    2015 - 103 taps on gravity. Homemade oil tank arch and a Smoky Lake 2' X 5' hybrid. - 2.66 gallons of syrup
    2016 - 101 taps, 550 gallons of sap, ~10 gallons of syrup all dark.
    2017 - 138 taps, 225 gallons of sap, 5.55 gallons of dark syrup, still procrastinating on the vac.
    2018 - ~150 taps, I lost track of the sap it was incredible!, over 20 gal of syrup, all dark.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast