+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A short story about ice

Quote Originally Posted by Gord View Post
    Clicked on all three refractometer pages from above site and got "Not Found" Maybe my computer's too old.
    Just scroll down... All the info is there, on the same page... Just the jumpy link thing isn't working...

Quote Originally Posted by Gord View Post
    Clicked on all three refractometer pages from above site and got "Not Found" Maybe my computer's too old.
    Try scrolling down instead of clicking on the links.

Got it. Thanks folks.

So, just to be clear - even if the buckets are 90% frozen it's ok to chuck all the ice and the sugar will be concentrated in just the 10% liquid? I should have known this. Probably should have payed more attention in science class.
    2x3 Mason
    35 taps
    12x16 sugarhouse

How about Ice in barrels of RO concentrate (6-7% Sugar)? Is this ice all water as well, and worth of the side toss?
    2024 - 160 taps, Shurflo 4048. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 Raised Flue. 5x400 RO.
    2023 - 121 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 20 gallons.
    2022 - 103 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 23 gallons.
    2021 - 77 taps on Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 22 gallons.
    2020 - 70ish taps on Shurflo 4008. Mason 2x4 XL. DIY R.O. ~24 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by merryall View Post
    So, just to be clear - even if the buckets are 90% frozen it's ok to chuck all the ice and the sugar will be concentrated in just the 10% liquid? I should have known this. Probably should have payed more attention in science class.
    Nope, there is sugar in that ice. We used to pile it on the flue pan to melt it and make syrup.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

Quote Originally Posted by merryall View Post
    No. Not true. With a light freeze, the ice is all water. On a heavy freeze, the ice blocks contain sugar. Transition point is somewhere around -8C.

If you save the blocks and let them thaw on their own slowly, the sugar will come out leaving just shell ice behind. Sweetest meltwater first. Water only last. At some point it makes sense to toss the rest of the ice. I taste the melt.

If you want the full scientific explanation, I can share it next week. I have the sugar water phase diagram on my other computer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

thanks for the info Big eddy. I knew someone on here would have the science behind it all./ much appreciated
    2x3 Mason
    35 taps
    12x16 sugarhouse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12