+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It's a sweet dilemma

Default It's a sweet dilemma

So I hope the season is as good for all of you just getting started as it has been for me. I have made my goal in syrup and my tanks and pan need cleaned, so I typically would just say I'm done and call it a season. With just a week left until my usual end date that's what I feel like doing, but these dang trees just keep pumping good sap. Heck I had 120 gallons off 78 taps that are almost 5 weeks in yesterday. By the time I finish off my sweet I'll have made my largest crop ever. The dilemma, do I quit or just keep going. I really need to at least do a vinegar soak on my pan and take it down and clean the bottom, but with maybe just a few more days left I really would rather not. My tanks are easier as I can do a quick bleach wash any day and have. I know I'm boiling at least tomorrow and then I wil decide. All my syrup is really dark now, but filtering smooth and bright and tasting good. What a problem, huh LOL. I hope you all have similar problems.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Good for you, We haven't even drilled a hole yet. Going to start Saturday weather still doesn't look right up here, but starting to turn
    54 Acres bought in Sept 2010, hope for a lot of fun
    Kabota 3400 w/ bucket
    couple Husky chainsaws and a couple of Stihl
    Big dream
    2011 = 106 on gravity tubing, 100 bucket
    2012 =700 vaccuum 100 gravity 80 bucket's
    30" x 12' Vortex with Leader Revolution Max Raised pans
    2013 = 1200 vac, 200 gravity, 5 buckets, buying from 300 buckets, 500 vac
    Springtech RO 600 Deluxe
    2015= 1800 all vac @ home, buying sap from 1200.
    2017= 2200 all on vac. no longer buying sap

That is pretty much the same boat I am in, except I have cleaned twice so far. And the weather looks to be good for flow next week, after that I might call
    it a season and shut down.
    Leader half pint Supreme
    RO Bucket-RB15

Wow! Done already? Must have much warmer temps down south. We are in the freeze, thaw just enough to run a little and then freeze up again mode. Sap is still great here and the syrup is about as light in color as I have made in 60 years.
    So I am going to develop a unique brand for this Golden Delicious to add some details for the consumer and hopefully we can retail a little more as the recent trend has been towards the the darker grades. My suggest is to keep going dont spend the time cleaning up as the market for dark is good. and maybe you only have a few more boils anyways.
    Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread