Quote Originally Posted by john henry View Post
I was making some light/medium syrup in my evaporator. At the end of the last run I collected @ 800 gallons of cloudy sap from 1 of my tanks. It made a good tasting very dark syrup. Now that I have Clear sap again I have a question. I have @ 2,000 gallons of cold/clear sap to run through the evaporator. Will I be able to eventually go lighter with this sap even though what is now in the evaporator made very dark? I realize the first 4 or 5 draws will be dark but will things start to lighten up on me? I have a 4 x 14 evaporator wood fired with a 10' drop flue pan. I plan to run the sap through the RO removing @ 75% of the water so I will likely have about 500 gallons of concentrate to run. I wouldn't mind draining the front pan and boiling it separate but to drain the whole evaporator would be a lot of sap to waste or boil in my finishing rig... Thanks for your help!
The syrup will lighten as you boil in the new sap. The longer you boil the lighter it will get. Watch the color at the draw off and if you can, keep the dark and lighter syrups separate.