+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Harvest 2020

Default Spring Harvest 2020

Christmas break, got the woods ready. Did some long needed maintenance work, but it was a breeze getting the woods prepped with minimal snow. Tap count should still be 900+/- taps. RS is reporting 750 taps to start the season and expanding, and GZ 300+ taps. It’s going to be a busy season…

Since then, evap/tanks are all cleaned. New membrane installed and rinsed. Glad I did this early because I found the RO feed piping had a nice, long crack in it. Took some PVC glue and sealed it up, so I could actually do the membrane flush. Again, used my old membrane to concentrate well water, to use the concentrate to flush the new membrane. Not sure if this extra step is needed, but it makes me feel better. This weekend, I need to fix the piping.

Only upgrade this year is a new permeate tank. This weekend, I'm picking up a 1550 gal poly tank...should give me all the permeate water I'll need. The new tanks stand is mostly complete. I think it came out nice…cost a few bucks on PT lumber though.

In some ways, this is the most prepared I've been at the start of sugaring season. At the sugarhouse, just got to take care of a few things (final cleaning being one of them), and I'm ready to go.

Over the weekend, I tapped trees over and got the four big mainlines done. Only about 80 taps left. Got about 285 taps in Saturday afternoon, about 385 Sunday, and another 150 yesterday morning. After lunch, I got the vac turned on and spent the afternoon checking vac leaks until things froze up. Got the woods to about 20”. Tapping went well. Saturday was cold, but Sunday and Monday were quite nice.

Now, we sit and wait a week for things to warm up…

Good luck to everyone this season. May it be a good one!
    Josh

2009 - 370 on vac. & 16 buckets
    2010 - 377 on vac.
    2011 - 590 on vac.
    2012 - 620 on high vac., 170 buckets, 110 on gravity tubing
    2013 - 830 mine + 800-1000 others
    2014 - 870 mine + 800-1000 others
    2017 - 920 mine + 500-700 others
    2018 - 902 mine + 500-700 others
    2019 - 902 mine + 700 others
    2020 - 902 mine + ???? others
    Atlas Copco Pump
    2.5'x8' 802maple Special with Dallaire pans
    H2O Innovation 600gph RO
    Spring Harvest Website

Hey Josh I've been wondering what you've been up to. It's nice to start the season when you're prepared for it. It doesn't feel like you're always trying to get caught up.

What did you get for a membrane? I bought MES membranes for mine last year and am really happy with them.

You're going to like that big permeate tank. I'm using 2 cage tanks and wish that I had a 1000 gallons of storage. On a big run I'm pumping the permeate that won't fit in the tanks down the drain.

Good luck this season!
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I got a CDL membrane. I couldn't beat the price and convenience of picking it up at Webb.

I am looking forward to the big tank. I also have the 670 gal bulk tank set up behind it if I want to use that too. I'll just need to pump it into the new poly tank.

I'm wondering if the reason why the membrane basically failed in one season is because of not enough permeate water to do a proper rinse wash. Last season was the first time that I consistently went to 18% every time, and did it in a 2 step process instead of recirc'ing to get it to the mid-teens like previous years (I think the 2 step should've been easier overall).

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Gold View Post
    I got a CDL membrane. I couldn't beat the price and convenience of picking it up at Webb.

I am looking forward to the big tank. I also have the 670 gal bulk tank set up behind it if I want to use that too. I'll just need to pump it into the new poly tank.

I'm wondering if the reason why the membrane basically failed in one season is because of not enough permeate water to do a proper rinse wash. Last season was the first time that I consistently went to 18% every time, and did it in a 2 step process instead of recirc'ing to get it to the mid-teens like previous years (I think the 2 step should've been easier overall).
    I do it in two steps now too, 12% on the first pass and 20% on the second pass. Last season was the first one where I didn't do a soap wash after every use. I did a permeate wash on the ones that I didn't do a soap wash on. The MES membranes didn't slow down all season.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

Saturday morning, got the last mainline tapped. Wanted to work on the releaser (install the new pump control switch), so I shut the vac. pump off. Complete my work, turn it back on, and fault code on the VFD. What??? Spent the afternoon trying to figure out what was going on, making phone calls, and etc. Turns out, it’s some kind of internal error, and I new VFD is needed. Emergency trip to MES Sunday morning to get a new VFD. I’m calling Lenze today, so see if the issue can be resolved, and best case, I have a backup VFD.

Sunday late morning, after my trip to MES, got the new VFD wired and vac going, so back in business! Downside, I lost a day’s worth of time resolving the issue, so this weekend wasn’t as productive as I would’ve liked. Spent the rest of the day fixing some other electrical issues, testing the new pump switch, and checking for vac leaks. Most of the woods is still froze up, so not running well, but ended the day at 24.5” of vac. I have two mainlines with leaks, but can’t find them until things start running better. Ended the day Sunday getting the evaporator plumbed up, the RO plumbing fixed (split pipe), and truck tank in the back of my truck.

Ended Sunday with about 500 gal in the woods tank. Looks like I’ll need to boil tonight.

Dry testing the new pump switch, and it seems to work fine, but I want to be able to babysit it for a bit before I move the pump wiring over to the relay to have it power the pump.

I couldn't find mes the other day. Had to call. Was close but GPS couldn't find it.

I hope lenze doesn't have issues with their VFD. I assume I have the same one for my releaser.

What pump did you have the 16 or the 25. I assume I only need the 16 but mandy at mes was trying to sell me the 25. If I could get permission I probably could expand so might go with the 25. Nice small compact unit. What do you think now that you have used it for a bit. I am surprised at the size of the ports they seem small to move that much ar.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Red, I'll send you an email with the det's.

Yesterday, hauled 714 gal of sap back to the sugarhouse and got the RO going. Gained 1” of vac (up to 25.5” now), and didn’t do anything! Guessing the trees are warming up and sealing better against the spiles.

Got the RO going, and took it to 11%. Had enough concentrate to fill the pans and run the evap for about an hour. Normal scrambling of things I forgot to do or needed to get set up to make syrup. Didn’t filter the syrup (not enough to bother with), so tonight will be the test of the new 10” press.

I forgot the drain on my sap float box is leaking…broken weld around the ¾” coupling drain. Forgot to get it fixed. Hoping it sugars up and reseals itself.

Yesterday, I collected a 715 gal load from my woods and ~660 from GZ’s. I left about 300 gal in my tank. Boiled for about 3 hrs and made about 20 gal of syrup. Things went smooth.

Yesterday morning, I found the float string and top float were a ball of ice. Quick dismantle and ice removal and all set. Vac. leak causing ice ball fixed. Also worked out well because the pump screen was clogged with slime, so it would’ve been useless later in the day. When I picked up sap, I found the pump was short cycling. The adjustment screw on the Lapierre float switches are pretty sensitive. Slight tweak and it was cycling fine. Woods still at 25.5”.

A friend picked up my new permeate tank, and with the help of GZ, we got it onto the new platform. This tank is pretty tall, so when I go inside to clean it, it’s a challenge getting out of it. Got it plumbed up and put about 200 gal of permeate in it as a light test. Tonight, I’ll put like 800 gal, next 1000 gal, 1200, and then let it fill up. The last thing I need is things heading down…

When I was on the ladder plumbing the new tank, my dog started barking pretty aggressively…not good I thought. I just about fall off the ladder, come around the sugarhouse, and about step on a racoon! Zuri was right behind it barking at it, it’s right in front of my feet, and it could care less. It moseyed on by, walked under my tank, over to the tree line, and disappeared.

This morning, the woods tank had about 800 gal in it, so I must’ve picked up about 500 gal in the overnight.

everything still running pretty good even though this is I think 3rd day with no freeze. Low pressure days have a lot to do with it.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

I got my best run of the season so far yesterday which was the crappiest of the last 4.
    Russ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast