+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shurflo pump issue

Well here in Central IL the last few days sap have flown like crazy. The shurflo is up to 25" with no recirc line on 70 taps. It looks like Super sapper was correct in his assessment as I am only having the sap stop up before the pump in the morning after a freeze and the trees are not awake yet. Thanks for the help.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

Did you find any sap frozen in the line near the pump?
    8th year making sugar
    120 taps second year on vac

2x4 Divided pan.
    Homemade RO 4x42XLE
    Shurflo 4048 pump

I don't mean to hijack this thread. I'm kind of having the same issue. We have a shurflow pump setup, but it's only pulling 4". Sap is flowing from the closest dozen trees but hardly anything higher. Is there a possibility the main could be plugged up? Or bad diaphragm? It worked amazing last season pulling a constant 15 inches but can't get 5 this year. I have walked all the lines several times and can't find any leaks. Like I said the closest dozen trees are flowing nice. Just not the rest
    Steve

2x8 Mason drop tube evaporator
    420 Taps
    3 surflo pumps on 5/16
    79 gallons of syrup made
    New kitchen addition to sap house
    400 taps
    52 gallons syrup made

whity, do you have a re-circulation line, if not, start there. It is also possible if it has been like this all year that a check valve is stuck, in that case, remove the pump and run warm clean water thru it, then hook it back up again. If the diaphragm got damaged, change it. You want to keep a spare on hand at all times.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks Maple Flats. We do have a recirc line but have not used it. There is a steady stream coming out from the closest trees, so the diaphragm is wet. I'll try the warm water flush. I have a few replacement diaphragms I can change if need be.
    Steve

2x8 Mason drop tube evaporator
    420 Taps
    3 surflo pumps on 5/16
    79 gallons of syrup made
    New kitchen addition to sap house
    400 taps
    52 gallons syrup made

Whity,

Another thing to look for would be if you have a strainer. I have 4 of the shurflo pumps running throughout the season, and it seems that every year after putting the pumps back together, the rubber o-ring in the strainer gets moved and pinched. It doesn't happen very often, but it happens to me almost every season with one of them. When it does happen, it won't get much past 3" of vacuum. I hope this helps.

Bill

Awesome thread. I'm having the same EXACT problem as the OP with one of my pumps. I have sap backed up at the pump, 20" of vac, and little to nothing coming through. Then all of a sudden there is a surge and it moves a ton of sap in a big 20-second pull. I can hear it gush in the tank. Then it will stop and I can see sap back up in the mainline again.

Ironically, I do have a recirculation line, but I disconnected it because the mainline always seemed to have liquid enough in the line and I could get 25-27" without it. I had just thought the recirculation line was to keep the diaphragm wet and increase vac. With all the sap backed up at the pump, it seems weird that the recirc line adding more sap to the system would help - though it does seem as if it is vapor locked like BAP said.

Strange also that my other pump doesn't seem to have this problem. It's remote, but whenever I spend time with it, it seems to have a constant flow. The one difference between the two systems is that the one with a vapor lock and sap backup has a manual bypass valve to go to gravity. Whenever I clean the filter, I close the valve to keep vacuum in the line while I'm disconnecting it. Then when it's all back together and tight, I open the valve. I wonder if I'm creating a pocket of negative pressure on the upstream side of the pump when I do that.

The remote unit with no problems has an automatic bypass that opens when I shut things down to clean the filter. I lose all vacuum, but I wonder if that's a happy accident. Any aerospace engineers out there?

When the next flow gets going, I'll play around with it. First I'll get all vacuum of the line and see what the pump does from scratch. Then maybe reconnect the recirculation line to see if that helps.

Thanks for all the advice here.

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Regardless of flow, I leave my recirculation line cracked all the time. When I say cracked I mean it, just enough to say its open. It seems to regulate the flow, keeps the gauge from fluttering and seems to keep things moving at a constant rate.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12