+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you store your syrup?

Hybrid View

Default How do you store your syrup?

So I have been doing most of our bottling right after we pull from the evaporator into quarts and pints. Last year we jugged off some 2.5 gallon jugs because we were not sure what what would sell. I am thinking about larger quantities for storage. How do you fill 5,10 and 30 gallon barrels when I only make 6-8 gallons a day? Do you hot pack a 30 gallon drum? What is your filtering process. Thanks for the help.
    1986-2002 2x6 Leader evaporator 150 taps drop tubes
    Life happens
    2015 130 taps drop tubes and sap sacs
    2016 225 taps drop tubes and sap sacs
    2017 300+? MicRO single membrane
    2019 325 taps 81 gallons made, most ever for us
    2020 2x6 Smoky Lake evaporator 400 taps with 160 on a guzzler pump
    2021..... a lot more line and vacuum

If you're only making 6 to 8 gallons a day don't store in anything larger than a 5 gallon jug. Try to plan your bottling and boils so that you jug the smaller runs in consumer sizes and store the bigger runs in 5 gallon jugs. You need to pack bulk storage containers hot just like small ones.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

What Russ said.
    Even when I pack barrels (most are 26.5 gal) I first pump it to a 2' x 6' finisher. Then when I have enough to pack a drum all as a single batch, I heat and filter it, then fill the drum. That works fine, but having to reheat does darken the syrup some. Fortunately I get a lot more orders for dark than amber and far more for Amber than Golden. Making it darker for my needs seems to fit fine.
    At your production level, just use 2.5 and 5 gal containers. You should realize that your bulk containers want to be a realistic size to match your production but also a good size for when you repack, so you don't need to put up far too many of any grade at one time for what your sales or use call for.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

By the way, there are 5 gal options in SS. If you find some Corney Kegs, (were used for years in the soda industry) they can be used, but not like they come. They were designed to seal on pressure, syrup needs to seal on vacuum. My best fix for that is to get some 2" half couplings or 2" Tri Clover fittings with a large flat base and weld them on the open top. Also you need to seal the vent. Then when you fill a keg, put the bung in (2" screw in threaded plug) or a tri-clover plug on with a gasket and clamp. Then lay the keg on it's side like you do for bottles and jugs to kill any mold spores on the plug.
    This will require welding, but once made they will last almost forever.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread