+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Tapping and Weeping Holes

Default New to Tapping and Weeping Holes

I am new to tapping and have a few questions as I have tapped about 10 maple trees in our yard this year. For the trees I tapped they seem to be weeping maple sap and honestly it looks like they are weeping a lot. Some of them have wet spots that go all the way to the ground. Is that normal? My other question is some of the tap holes have been producing well last week and in the last couple days they seem to have very little production. Is it normal to have this type of variation in production from day to day?

Thank in Advance!

Mike

New spiles will leak for a few days until they seal up. That's normal. What's not normal is if they continue to do it. Make sure you don't drive the spiles in to deep. It can split the wood and then it will not stop leaking. Just seat the spiles work a light hammer until they make a solid thud. It doesn't take much to seat them. Flow will vary day to day. That's normal.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

If I drive the spiles in to deep and the weeping wont stop then what do I do? Can I back the spiles out? Should I take the spiles out completely?

Thanks!
    Mike

Not alot you can do if they are too deep and split. You will just have to leave them and you get what you get and it will be a learning lesson for next year. I usually only see splitting on red maples. Chances are they are just not sealed completely, I wouldn't worry too much unless you see sap dripping off bark somewhere!!
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

There's nothing you can do. Just leave the spiles in and collect the sap and make delicious syrup with it! You're probably not losing a whole lot. Just don't drive them in as hard next time.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

The taps are set to shallow or too deep. both could cause the same leakage.
    When you tap them into the hole you should tap them in like a little girl rather gently. When you feel the hammer have some resistance and bounce off the spile stop. Also was your hole drilled nice and straight into the tree? A sloppy hole can cause leakage. Having done this a time or two I do not see any leaks on mine this year.
    Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Thanks for all the feedback! I am learning a lot!
    Good news is I already made 1 pint of maple syrup!

Some of my taps leak a bit in the beginning, and then seal up. As others have noted, red maples can split pretty easy. I use a rawhide mallet (jewelers hammer) to set my taps and it works well.

And to answer your other question: Yes, your sap will be variable from day-to-day, and every year is different. Last year I had a 3-week blitz before my sap turned "buddy". The year before it was over 7-weeks. I collected almost the identical amount of sap and made the same amount of syrup each year. If you search on here a bit (there's a ton of great information), you will see that many things affect sap runs. As you continue-on, you will learn how your trees in your location respond to temperature, snow (or no snow), wind, clouds, sun, etc., etc.
    2023: Award Winning Maple Syrup and Honey!
    2023: 200 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: 150 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: Lapierre Vision 2x6 with Preheater & Marcland Autodraw
    2022: Brand new post and beam sugar house
    2022: 4"x40" RO
    Kubota L4701, Kubota BX2380
    2 Black Rescue Dogs, 2 Livestock Guardian Dogs, Many Bee Hives, A Flock of Icelandic Chickens
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss
    vikingmadeforge: Artist Blacksmithing & Bladesmithing
    https://blackdogbeesandmapletrees.com

I just posted on the Tapping forum on the same topic, and wondered if anyone thinks the rapid weather change could also contribute to weeping. I’m just two towns over from Hudson where this poster is, I tapped Feb 9, on 5/16 gravity, and they ran well early last week with temps in the 40s. I saw very little of any weeping. Then we had a hard freeze on Friday in single digits, followed two days later with two days in the low 40s again. I expected a good run but it was rather slow, not even half the flow of the prior week. When I went looking at the trees and lines, I noticed a lot of weeping, at least half the trees, but not excessive amounts. Not all the way to the ground. Some just 6” around the tap hole. I’m just wondering if there’s a correlation to the slower flow.
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

After as cold as it was, in my experience, it takes more than 2 days at 40 to start good flow again...and if it was cloudy or windy, forget it. Also, the trees might have been pumping sap, but if your taps/lines still had ice, then the pressure from the flow in the tree would have had no place to go but out around the tap holes. Finally, check your taps closely. Water/sap expands as it freezes. Plastic taps can crack and/or "frost jack" out of the tap holes, so you may need to reset some of them.
    2023: Award Winning Maple Syrup and Honey!
    2023: 200 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: 150 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: Lapierre Vision 2x6 with Preheater & Marcland Autodraw
    2022: Brand new post and beam sugar house
    2022: 4"x40" RO
    Kubota L4701, Kubota BX2380
    2 Black Rescue Dogs, 2 Livestock Guardian Dogs, Many Bee Hives, A Flock of Icelandic Chickens
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss
    vikingmadeforge: Artist Blacksmithing & Bladesmithing
    https://blackdogbeesandmapletrees.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast