+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Evaporatorr

Quote Originally Posted by Mboeselager View Post
    I started on a turkey fryer then graduated to a 3 burner propane camp stove with 3 steam pans. I was able to make about 3 to 4 gallons of syrup per year. But I was tired of paying for propane and boiling all night long.

Then I graduated to a starcat arch with a divided pan which I love

My 2 cents....begin thinking about a hobby size arch and pan. You can get for about $1000 which I felt I spent in propane over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I actually have ZERO interest in wood fired. I like being able to shut the heat off if i have to go to the bathroom, or boil at night for an hour, stuff like that.
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

That is why I built a small natural gas evaporator. I didnt want to deal with wood and was sick of how expensive propane was. And how slow it was on a grill. I built this to fit a stainless pan I got but it also works for full size steam pans.

I thought A LOT about getting the exact stove you showed but in the end couldnt be happier with what I built instead. It boils awesome and is insulated with firebrick and has a great windscreen. And I dont even notice it on the gas bill.

Link to it here: https://www.sugartree.run/2019/03/cu...vaporator.html

Started with 6 taps, then 36, now 55 and growing.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

That's a nice little stove. I see it says "high pressure" propane. I think the regular grill tanks are "low pressure". I do not know the difference.
    Also you are going to burn a lot of propane so be ready for that expense. Like it was said above, convert to NG if possible. All it takes is drilling out the orifice a little bigger.

check out http://www.maplesyruppans.com/index....&product_id=58
    he makes a 17x34 pan that fits on camp stoves.
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

Quote Originally Posted by jdircksen View Post
    That's a nice little stove. I see it says "high pressure" propane. I think the regular grill tanks are "low pressure". I do not know the difference.
    Also you are going to burn a lot of propane so be ready for that expense. Like it was said above, convert to NG if possible. All it takes is drilling out the orifice a little bigger.

check out http://www.maplesyruppans.com/index....&product_id=58
    he makes a 17x34 pan that fits on camp stoves.
    That looks PERFECT!

The thing I see that is different is that it must let more propane through, because the BTU's are 210k vs the 48K on my current grill. I bet it goes through WAY more propane, but at least it will boil.. my standard grill barely even gets it to simmer and that's only if I close the lid. I can't WAIT to see what the new one will. I would LOVE to get natural gas (to heat my home also) but its nto available where I live, plus the house came with a 1 year old oil furnace so it would be silly to rip it out.

That pan does look perfect however! Looks like I may have to get an RO AND pan next year!
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12