+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Fired Rig switching off

Default Oil Fired Rig switching off

Did a test fire of my rig today. This is my second season with the unit. Today when I went to start it, it would light and go out after about 20 seconds or so. It did this 4 times. I then checked my oil line to make sure it was flowing. After confirming this I adjusted the air band to 20 and it fired, caught and was fine. I boiled water for about a hour without a problem. I had this problem once last year on a windy day when I was trying to boil but on the third try it lit and was fine.
    I am wondering for those of you boiling with oil have you experienced this. It is a small rig with a 7" stack. I am also wondering if the stack cover I have from home depot may be to blame. It is vented all the way around but I have noticed that most people have open hats when they are boiling. I have resisted buying one of these due to the cost. Just wondering if that might be preventing good airflow? Also do any of you have to fool with the air bands on the burners. My dad has a 3x10 in Vermont that is oil fired. They never test fire it just wait for the first good run and roll and have never had an issue. Thanks for any ideas or help.

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

Most oil fired rigs have a barometric damper, that may be the issue, ask an oil burner man.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Bit the bullet and bought a real stainless flapper and installed it. Boiled last night and it went well no issues. Hopefully that was my issue.

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup

I suspect you might need to bite another bullet and get a barometric damper still.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Yep I think you are right. I hope to add that to the list for next year. Hopefully I can get through this season. Thanks for the advice on that. I found an old post where a person was having the same issue and the barometric damper solved the problem. Sounded like he was able to adjust the flapper and it helped but the real solution was the damper. This is good, my wife gets worried when I do not spend money during the off season.

No need for a barometric damper. I do not have one on my 3x12. I could show you a 4x12 and a 6x16 that do not run one. These are completely different than an oil burning heating unit.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

The only time you need a barometric damper is like a 3 story house with a big chimney that draws to much air on the combustion chamber. This snuffs the flame out of the oil furnace. You can check with with a device that goes in the stove pipe and reads draft. Other than that, new furnaces don't get installed with barometric dampers either.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

OK, I guess I'm old school. I have been corrected, thank you Brian and wiam.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    The only time you need a barometric damper is like a 3 story house with a big chimney that draws to much air on the combustion chamber. This snuffs the flame out of the oil furnace. You can check with with a device that goes in the stove pipe and reads draft. Other than that, new furnaces don't get installed with barometric dampers either.
    His is the 4x12 I mentioned.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I have been oil fired since 1999. No barometric damper and mine runs great.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast