+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How deep to insert spiles?

Default How deep to insert spiles?

Been putting them in about 1-1/2". Is this correct?

Jim

Also, where is the cheapest place to buy spiles? Either throw always or re users?

Jim

Drill the holes about 2" deep without any wobble to the drill bit, then tap them in lightly only until the sound changes. They will not all be in the same amount, just use a light tapping hammer (or I use the flat side jaw of a lineman's 7" pliers). The sound change tells you when it is good.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Drill the holes about 2" deep without any wobble to the drill bit, then tap them in lightly only until the sound changes. They will not all be in the same amount, just use a light tapping hammer (or I use the flat side jaw of a lineman's 7" pliers). The sound change tells you when it is good.
    Where does everyone get their spiles from?

Jim

I'm not sure where you get them in NE. Here in New England, almost every hardware store and farm and garden store carries them. We also have places like Bascom, Leader, etc. All the big ones have an online presence, and you can mail order them for delivery. Not sure if you are looking for plastic or stainless, and how many.

Also, a few years back I grabbed a rawhide mallet from my jewelers bench and found that it is a great tool for setting my taps.
    2023: Award Winning Maple Syrup and Honey!
    2023: 200 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: 150 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: Lapierre Vision 2x6 with Preheater & Marcland Autodraw
    2022: Brand new post and beam sugar house
    2022: 4"x40" RO
    Kubota L4701, Kubota BX2380
    2 Black Rescue Dogs, 2 Livestock Guardian Dogs, Many Bee Hives, A Flock of Icelandic Chickens
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss
    vikingmadeforge: Artist Blacksmithing & Bladesmithing
    https://blackdogbeesandmapletrees.com

+ Reply to Thread