+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grant- Pendleton County

Default Grant- Pendleton County

Have over 1900 taps in so far, lost count sort of? Boiled three times and have right close to the amount I made for the whole season last year, 1.9 to 2.2 sugar content, Hope to add another 600 to 800 taps by next weekend, looks like we are starting to get some normal freeze thaw cycles? if we do I predict records will fall

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Now right around 2300 taps in could add another 1000 but probably won't because it is getting close to the end maybe, 22 second year doing this and I have set date in my mind never tap a tree in March, for the Yanks that seem odd because some of you don't tap until March, when I say it is getting close to the end that is just a guess, I have made edible syrup in April once, the camp at 3300 foot elevation near me has made good syrup in April the first 6 years they have been in production, I see no reason that won't happen again!

Quote Originally Posted by 220 maple View Post
    Now right around 2300 taps in could add another 1000 but probably won't because it is getting close to the end maybe, 22 second year doing this and I have set date in my mind never tap a tree in March, for the Yanks that seem odd because some of you don't tap until March, when I say it is getting close to the end that is just a guess, I have made edible syrup in April once, the camp at 3300 foot elevation near me has made good syrup in April the first 6 years they have been in production, I see no reason that won't happen again!
    well done, you are crushing it already! The weekly pattern for the past 4 weeks has been identical for me. Thaw starting sunday, then stays above freezing until wednesday with rain. Then back to frozen till sunday. No real daily freeze thaws. Just long three day thaws where it runs for 72hrs. I wonder how that affects sugar content, and or the development of the buds. Will have to see if Tim has studied that stuff. I guess we are testing it now since last week of January, its been the same pattern. Frozen now, and been snowing for the past 3 days with over a foot of snow, yet looks like another thaw starts tomorrow (sunday) for 3-4 days of no freezing temps....again! starting week 6 of sugarin 2020! My trees are all 3200' and above, but last year my syrup got buddy by 3rd week of march. The previous year it didn't get buddy till mid april.
    Last edited by canaanmaple; 02-29-2020 at 07:24 AM.

Just looked at a Sugar bush Sunday afternoon for a friend, he is hoping to tap this Spring, also had a Rep. from Future Generation University along doing plot surveys, he only has 6 to 7 acres, the plot surveys averaged near 90 trees per acre, he is planning on collecting his sap and adding to my sap so we have enough to make it worthwhile, we're hoping to make two barrels of syrup? All I forgot to mention his trees are Black Walnut! I have a lot of Black Walnuts also. The latest news on Black Walnut Syrup 320 dollars a gallon bulk, I heard about a family that made Black Walnut syrup last Spring, when sold in 4 ounce bottles they made 800 dollars a gallon! We will not be greedy 320 times 40 equals 12800 dollars a barrel.
    Mark 220 Maple

Most likely finished tapping for this season, the latests snow storm has just started, another 24 hour blast, suffering with more freeze than thaw now, we need a three day thaw, where we can make over 100 gallons or more! However be careful what one wish’s for, the extended forecasts shows no freeze in sight after a Saturday night hard freeze at 7 degrees
    Right around 2600 taps in this year, buying sap from a 195 tap bush. Total taps 2800, again did not get everything tapped!
    I say this every year, if I could get them all open I would be at 4000, Maybe in 2022?

Mark 220 Maple

We are hoping for a nice run of sap too. The forecast next two weeks should very little freezing for us, but we run about 10 degrees colder down in the little valley we live in so hopefully it will be perfect. It has hovered around freezing with only a few drips for more than a week here. I can't empty buckets if they are frozen!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

Second big run this year, over 2300 gallons of sap, producing 64 gallons off the Evaporator in 4 hours, will boil again today have another 2000 plus gallons of sap, sugar content is better than previous years but not the best! In the Spring of 2003 it only took 33 gallons too make a gallon! That was the year of the Valentine Day snow storm!
    Mark 220 cc

Gathered all sap that had dribbled in over thee weekend, RO it and boiled again on March 1st, ran another 25 gallons off Evaporator
    Mark 220 �� has

Mark 220 Maple If you dont mind putting the info on here about how much you pay for sap and or trade barter for syrup ? if you want you can pm me instead.

Thanks Rockport

Wow you are crushing it and good sugar content too! I had one run so far and got 1600gal and only made 30, but the pans are pretty concentrated for sure. (I have 3 locations that ran a steady 1.4%, 1.9% and 2.5% respectively) Yesterday too cold to run, and not much today yet but its 43 and sunny at least.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast