+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Half pint build

Default Half pint build

I picked up a slightly used half pint pan over the summer so started putting together an arch for it. I'm planning on building a box at the back of the arch for the preheater to set on. I have 10 gauge sheet for the front and top if the flue box. Still have to figure out grates, door, and sheeting. Any advice appreciated..
    Attached Images Attached Images

here is a picture of how I just made my door. I made it so that where the hinges mount to the arch I can adjust them. This way if I replace the door gasket with something thicker or if I want to tighten the seal I can just loosen the nuts, tap the door in or out and then tighten back down. Hope this helps.
    2016-two straws stuck in tree by the kids-1 pint syrup
    2017-40 taps 8 gal. syrup
    2018-70 taps...19 gal syrup
    2019-90 taps....18.5 gal syrup
    2020- 100 taps....25 gal syrup.....new oil barrel arch
    2021- 85 taps....unknown season

That is a nic door. What should I put in for the floor of the arch? I'd rather not fire brick but not sure if coals will damage sheet metal.

I built my arch and it looks very similar to what you are building. I used a cast iron storm drain cover for a grate . Very hard to cut down to size though. The first grate I made out of scrap steel but it only lasted 3 seasons. Where in New York are you? If you are anywhere near Cornwall your welcome to stop by and look at my build. It would be to much to explain on here. or pm me with questions. good luck, it looks good so far!

I am in at Lawrence county about 40 min from cornwall

Did you line the bottom with firebrick or is it steel?

my grate is made of 1/8" x 1 angle iron that is tured upward to hold the ash so it helps to insulate and minimize warping. I left about 1/4"-5/16" gaps between the grates so no big coals fall through. My thought is that with the AUF it will burn very clean and any ash that falls through will not hold any concentrated heat too long. I did not firebrick the bottom below the grate because of this. I did leave a big ash cleaning door though shown in the picture so cleaning ash is super simple.
    2016-two straws stuck in tree by the kids-1 pint syrup
    2017-40 taps 8 gal. syrup
    2018-70 taps...19 gal syrup
    2019-90 taps....18.5 gal syrup
    2020- 100 taps....25 gal syrup.....new oil barrel arch
    2021- 85 taps....unknown season

I made the bottom of tin but then laid fire blanket then the half fire bricks. 9 years old and no sign of a problem. same with the sides. Oh ! that's not our Cornwall we are in Cornwall NY in the Hudson River Valley.

Ten four. I might just sheet metal everything then insulated the bottom with brick and wool. It's just going to leave me with less space under grates than I planned for.

+ Reply to Thread