+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Maples

Default Red Maples

Thinking about the viability of buying a piece of land with primarily Red Maples on it for sugaring. I currently do 50 buckets with a mix of Reds and Sugars. I have noticed that the Reds are real hit or miss while the Sugars are very consistent. It is like a light switch is turned on with the Sugars at some point in the season and they just throttle up. The Reds can have days when you would think that they would be running like crazy and there will be nothing. I am looking for some land around southern NH with about 100 taps or so that I can run tubing and maybe vacuum. Finding land down here with Sugars on it is tough, finding land with Reds is certainly easier. I am wondering for those of you that tap the Reds will they run as hard as Sugars if they are on vacuum. I know that the sugar content is lower and that does not concern me as this is a hobby but I do want to make good stuff and have enough sap to boil. Thanks

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

I tap almost all reds. When on buckets they were very hit and miss like you said. Some days full buckets, others nothing. Once I went to vacuum the changed. They don't produce as much as a mature sugar will but they are solid performers with the vac.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

If you want to tap reds you need to put them on vacuum. They don't produce as much sap as sugars but they do make great tasting syrup. About 90% of my taps are reds. I average about a quart of syrup per tap per season.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I have tapped reds for over 30 years. When we were on buckets there were some that were low producers but generally not too bad. On vacuum I am not seeing a lot of difference between the redMaples or the sugars. Maybe a little lower on sugar content over the course of the season. They make perfectly good syrup. They do tend to go buddy earlier than the Sugar maples. Sometimes I will start pulling the red maple taps before the season is over.
    3500 taps, vacuum.

I also tap almost all reds and have noticed the same as the others. They run like crazy on vacuum and yes the sugar content is a little lower. Although so much more depends on sugar content then variety of trees. Some of my yard trees that are reds still run near 3%, while the woods are 1.5-2.0. A woods near me has all sugars and will run 1.0-1.5, its all about crown and leaf surface. If you have the ability to thin and manage a woods properly then the reds can be a great woods for you. Plus in my opinion and that of our customers it makes a flavorful syrup, darker than some, but still great.
    Kevin

Had terrible results with reds on gravity last year and other years to the point where I doubt they will get tapped again.
    When my sugar maples were giving up a gallon a day the reds were giving up a quart. Some were beside each other and had me scratching my head.
    Backyard Sugarin' since 1991
    Concrete block wood burner
    24 taps on gallon jugs
    2' x 2' x 6" SS pan
    5 gal. SS steamer pan for preheating
    89 Arctic Cat Panther sap hauler

Making a few gallons syrup most years.
    Maple Baked Beans
    Maple Oat Sourdough Bread
    Maple Wine

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Had terrible results with reds on gravity last year and other years to the point where I doubt they will get tapped again.
    When my sugar maples were giving up a gallon a day the reds were giving up a quart. Some were beside each other and had me scratching my head.
    Woodsy,
    They really need vacuum to get them to run, the yield of sap from reds on vacuum is unbelievable. If its a smaller operation (a few hundred taps or less) a small vac pump is all thats needed to get them to flow.
    Kevin

Try to find a plot with the hard maples. You will never regret it. Now if you already owned the property and the reds were in the back yard running down hill to the sugar house I would still tell you to go find a hard maple sugarbush. Its a lot of work, you will have a lot invested. the sugars will work well for you. I am not saying that reds are bad but if your shopping go for the best trees.
    After reading this about the reds on vacuum, my guess is that sugars on vacuum will still out produce them. Just my opinion. Sometimes you just dont have a choice and the reds will make you some really good syrup too!
    Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 02-16-2020 at 04:58 PM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Thanks to all the replies. It sounds like Reds on vacuum is a very viable option. I would like to find that good mix but it is tough here is Southern NH. Any land that is for sale most if not all of the hard maple will be cleared before they put it up for sale. The loggers seem to be a little more picky with the Red Maple and tend to leave a lot of it. I will try to see if some of the folks from NH are doing the open houses in March and bend your ears a little more. A lot of what was said echo's what I have heard from the UVM proctor research as far as Reds on vacuum being able to match Sugar Maple output, certainly not in sugar content but volume. Thanks again. After this season I will be hitting the road looking for some land. My wife always said I would try to make this a 12 month hobby!

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

Quote Originally Posted by LMP Maple View Post
    Thanks to all the replies. It sounds like Reds on vacuum is a very viable option. I would like to find that good mix but it is tough here is Southern NH. Any land that is for sale most if not all of the hard maple will be cleared before they put it up for sale. The loggers seem to be a little more picky with the Red Maple and tend to leave a lot of it. I will try to see if some of the folks from NH are doing the open houses in March and bend your ears a little more. A lot of what was said echo's what I have heard from the UVM proctor research as far as Reds on vacuum being able to match Sugar Maple output, certainly not in sugar content but volume. Thanks again. After this season I will be hitting the road looking for some land. My wife always said I would try to make this a 12 month hobby!
    I'm Red Roof Maples in Loudon. I'll be doing an open house on maple weekend if you want to stop by then. If I know you're coming we can get together some time other than maple weekend too. About 90% of my trees are reds. I find that the sap volume is a little less but the sugar content is about equal. I normally measure 2% in my bulk tank with all sap combined.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast