+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone thinking about tapping.

I put in about 50 taps altogether. They all seem to be running well. My daughter has a sugar maple in her yard and it is going crazy. I just started boiling today. It sounds like everyone has a good start. It sounds like it’s going to get warm for a week. Anyone think that will affect anything.

We'll need overnight temps below freezing to recharge the trees after this flow. I pulled 135 /150 gallons (depending on which tank markings you trust) off of 100 taps, this morning. I'll collect again tomorrow morning then start boiling. Have fun, ted

First boil was Sunday the 23rd and since then have made 25 gallons of syrup off 135 taps. Have had a couple runs like i have never seen and the sugar content has been pretty consistent with 2%. Hope to make 10 more before it's over and that looks to be Sunday unless the forecast changes.

From the friends to the north. I'm up in the Minneapolis area and the dripping has been slow so far this week, although two weeks ago had had a nice run. Hoping it gets back to that pace soon. It appears like you're a day or two ahead of us. Enjoy!
    2020 1st season- 8 gallons of syrup
    2021 2nd season- 11 gallons of syrup
    2022 3rd season 6 gallons of syrup
    2023 4th season- 7 gallons of syrup

Finally got tapped yesterday (March 2nd). 203 taps; all on buckets. They're running pretty good today. Hope it doesn't get too warm too fast and then stay that way. Always hoping for a good season. Maybe this year is the one.
    Best of luck.

Jim

Made 3 gallons of syrup on sun and collected 60 gallons of sap today. Tested at 3% going to boil it down tomorrow.

Gathered about 250 gallons of sap on Wednesday. Finished it yesterday morning (March 6th). Got just under 7 gallons of syrup. Very little niter (Yea!!). I believe it is the lightest syrup we have ever made. No idea why.

Look's like it should run today with sun and high's in the 50's. Not too much wind out in the woods and down in the hollow's either, so that should help.

Jim

Sap is running here today, it might be the last as 10 day forecast doesn't look good, but that could change. Have fun, ted

It seems to have stopped here in south central Iowa. I was only able to make about 7 quarts because it quit so quickly. Had a couple good runs but the 50 and 60 degree days ended it. This week looks better but I think it might be done here.

Ill collect this morning, boil it (depending on quantity) and see where we stand. Might be buddy. Ill post results afterwards. Ted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast