+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2020 season

Because of the Coronavirus I have been asked to work from home. My sugar shack happens to have Internet access. So as part of my self-quarantine, I’m now “working from the sugar shack”. I’m thinking of adding a few more taps.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlson View Post
    Because of the Coronavirus I have been asked to work from home. My sugar shack happens to have Internet access. So as part of my self-quarantine, I’m now “working from the sugar shack”. I’m thinking of adding a few more taps.
    rcarlson
    I'm working from home as well, my sugar shack is my front porch, and I have to say it's nice to do some boiling while working.
    2020 1st season- 8 gallons of syrup
    2021 2nd season- 11 gallons of syrup
    2022 3rd season 6 gallons of syrup
    2023 4th season- 7 gallons of syrup

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlson View Post
    I will be off and on as well. The most I have ever made was 7.5 gallons and always called it a season before the trees were done....considering gong for it this year!

Things are flowing extremely well in Chaska. It's about double the output of any other day. I'm at the point where there sap is coming faster than I can boil. I think I may be calling it a season soon. Looks like I'll walk away with between 6-7 gallons. Life is good!

Big day! 16 gallons of syrup in 8 hours! Total for the year so far.....54. Still over 200 gallons of sap on hand.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Hey Christopher, I would gladly stop by and pick up any sap you may not want to finish. I may be willing to trade you for some black walnut or a portion of what I boil off of yours. If not. I'm glad you had a prosperous first season. Best of all, Johnny (Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by RileySugarbush View Post
    Big day! 16 gallons of syrup in 8 hours! Total for the year so far.....54. Still over 200 gallons of sap on hand.
    Thanks so much for your hospitality John. I truly enjoyed seeing your very well thought out and executed operation. Cheers to you and your fine family and neighbors.
    Jeeves

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeves View Post
    Hey Christopher, I would gladly stop by and pick up any sap you may not want to finish. I may be willing to trade you for some black walnut or a portion of what I boil off of yours. If not. I'm glad you had a prosperous first season. Best of all, Johnny (Jeeves)
    John
    Certainly. I did take the bags down but can very easily put them back up. I’ll run out now and rehang them. I think you could get 15 -20 gallons a day.
    Last edited by ChaskaSap; 03-17-2020 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaskaSap View Post
    John
    Certainly. I did take the bags down but can very easily put them back up. I’ll run out now and rehang them. I think you could get 15 -20 gallons a day.
    Johnny
    10 bags are back on the trees. I can store up to 40 gallons in my white 5 gallon buckets.
    Last edited by ChaskaSap; 03-17-2020 at 09:43 PM.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I think I have to seriously think about pulling the plug this weekend. The sap has been great running strong and high. Todays 90 gallons was at the season low of 2.6%. I'm currently at around 17 or 18 gallons finished. It's a banner year down here, just getting worn down and starting to forget the daily chores of rinsing and washing.

FYI the buds are just opening enough for the "atennae" (spelled wrong I think) to pop out. Couple more weeks and the flow will stop to a trickle for sure.

Keep going strong!
    SDdave
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast