+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2020 season

So I went and collected today and ended up with 6-7 gallons which was better than I thought it would be. Nothing to write home about but what was fun was trying out my new refractometer. I always thought my silver maples that I tap were higher sugar content than what they were "supposed to be" and they tested out at 3.5%. More than happy with that although it is early! Kind of a fun cheap tool.

This is my first year doing this...I'm near the cities and have 29 taps dripping. I put them in during the last warm spell (about 2 weeks ago) and had decent flow, collected about 50 gallons. Because of the cold weather last week it all but came to a halt until Sat/Sun, but the flow hasn't been anything near what it was 2 weeks ago. Hoping it picks back up with the warmer weather this week and I didn't put them in too early.
    2020 1st season- 8 gallons of syrup
    2021 2nd season- 11 gallons of syrup
    2022 3rd season 6 gallons of syrup
    2023 4th season- 7 gallons of syrup

I put in 40 taps today SW of Hutchinson and all the taps were dripping. There was still a decent amount of snow in the woods, but there was open ground around the trees. I hope to do my 1st boil of the season this weekend.

Chaskasap I would think you are okay. Mine haven't been on fire either and I put them in Sunday morning. I got 10 gallons on 50 taps today. I do have one tree that we call the giver tree. Every time the jug is plump full.

Thanks Keitha333 and you were spot on. The taps are starting to open up. Got nearly 30 gallons. The fire 🔥 is burning tonight.

I officially produced my very first gallon of filtered clear syrup (10 pint size jars to be exact) tonight. Feeling it! Whoop! Whoop!

Quote Originally Posted by ChaskaSap View Post
    I officially produced my very first gallon of filtered clear syrup (10 pint size jars to be exact) tonight. Feeling it! Whoop! Whoop!
    congratulations! First of many!
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Sweetened the pans and made 3 gallons of great tasting syrup tonight. Here we go!
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by ChaskaSap View Post
    You will only upsize whatever you have from here on out!

Howdy everyone! Early start this year caught me off guard. But we are all systems go for first boil this weekend. Hoping things cool off a bit after this crazy warm spell coming our way. Good luck all!
    Dan
    -15 years sugaring and counting - hoping to create a tradition my kids will always remember
    -400 taps, mostly buckets (Silver Maples + a few Boxelders just for the heck of it)
    -Custom-built 2x6 evap with Smoky Lake Maple raised flue, boiling in dad's old farm granary, now converted to sugar shack
    -Cobbled-together RO with XLE4040 membrane
    -New in 2021: experimenting with 3/16 tubing & a Shurflo pump.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast