+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio May Offer Maple Land Property Tax Exemption

Default Ohio May Offer Maple Land Property Tax Exemption

Did anyone see this? I just stumbled upon it tonight...

https://www.thecentersquare.com/ohio...947975ecc.html
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

For your sake I hope it goes thru. In NYS we can get an agriculture assessment, which reduces the taxes to about 30% of what they would be otherwise, but we need to apply for it in a long application initially, after that we need tore-sign forms or we lose it. There are hoops to jump thru too, we must have sales of at least $10,000 average over the previous 2 years as filed on our fed. income tax form. There are other requirements too, but for smaller producers that is often the hard part.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Hey John

This was being discussed a couple years back, would be great if it went through, also it pairs up with cauv tax breaks. This would encourage more people to add on to their operation if possible to get more acres under the tax exemption. Hope it can go somewhere
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Did anyone see this? I just stumbled upon it tonight...

https://www.thecentersquare.com/ohio...947975ecc.html

State Rep John Patterson used to teach in the class right next to mine.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

“HB 109 would offer an incentive of zero property taxes to those who make at least 30 taps per acre on a minimum of 15 trees,” Patterson added. “… Second, contingent upon this tax break, landowners would practice enhanced forestry practices by participating in Ohio’s forest management plan.
    I hope there is better definition then this in the bill. It's pretty vague and not many would qualify under this in my area. Does this mean your whole timber acreage has to have 30 taps per acre and 15 trees? I only tap about half my woods, but have 118 taps total on about 10 acres. In my area 30 taps per acre would not catch many properties. Our woods are a mix of oak, Maple and other hardwoods. I know it's geared towards Northern Ohio, but us southern producers would like to get it too. We used to run several hundred taps when I was a kid on 45 acres and we wouldn't qualify by this wording. we'd have to have had over 1,300 taps on that 45 acres. That's a lot in this area. Our Maples just aren't that dense. Again someone pushing an agenda that benefits them and not everyone.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Very interesting. I wonder if it would apply to a residential property of 1 acre with 15 maple trees and 30 taps. In some areas, property taxes are several thousands of dollars.

For example, I live in the city, but have 0.86 acres and 9 huge maples. I'd gladly plant 6 trees if it means I'd qualify.
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    I hope there is better definition then this in the bill. It's pretty vague and not many would qualify under this in my area. Does this mean your whole timber acreage has to have 30 taps per acre and 15 trees? I only tap about half my woods, but have 118 taps total on about 10 acres. In my area 30 taps per acre would not catch many properties. Our woods are a mix of oak, Maple and other hardwoods. I know it's geared towards Northern Ohio, but us southern producers would like to get it too. We used to run several hundred taps when I was a kid on 45 acres and we wouldn't qualify by this wording. we'd have to have had over 1,300 taps on that 45 acres. That's a lot in this area. Our Maples just aren't that dense. Again someone pushing an agenda that benefits them and not everyone.
    The way I understand it is what ever area is tapped with the minimum of 30 taps per acre. So if you have 50 acres total, and 10 acres are tapped with at least 300 taps only that 10 acres would qualify.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    I feel your pain Buckeye, but 30 taps on a minimum of 15 trees per acre is actually pretty lax. My take is it's designed to offer incentives to re-invest in Maple as a business and promote good forest husbandry at the same time.

Without a defined minimum tap/tree count, you could write off taxes with one or two trees... that doesn't make any sense either. Pretty sure you need to show income from maple sales before you can get any relief.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Yeah, I understand Johnallin. It just seems kind of an odd way of qualifying to make it stem density related instead of minimum tap and business related. Someone within a city limits and 30 taps on an acre plot that sells a few gallons from home or farmers Mkt. might qualify while someone with 30 acres and 300 taps scattered across the whole acreage might not. I'm assuming the proposals actually have more definition in it. I have CAUV on my land and I have had to show agricultural use to maintain this. I give hay away to the neighbors, so I don't have farm income, but it's still farm use. I also have a timber management plan and sell timber on a planned harvest. Although, that has to be on hold for a while as I rebuild my base. A couple unplanned cuts from storm damage put me in under-stock and a growing mode for the next few years. I realize that a lot of sugar bushes have maple stem densities much higher than that, but our woods down here our oak/hickory dominate. some area have some pretty dense maple stands, but if you walk my woods you'll see 10 oaks for every maple, but there's still enough maple for a viable sugar set up. I appreciate the discussion and the fact someone is trying to build on Maple industry.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

its still moving forward but very very slowly at this point. for the maple industry as a whole this will be very beneficial and they have to use a starting number. this was created initially for the timber folks that were clear cutting and ruining woods for several generations. there are laws more coming down the pike to address that from a land value and erosion stand point
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast