+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil versus propane finisher

Default Oil versus propane finisher

I am going to throw the question out. What are the pros and cons of finishing in a separate pan with oil or propane. I myself was taught to finish off the evaporator and that’s how I do it, but old dogs can learn new tricks sometimes so I am pondering. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks

While I finish on the evaporator, my draw off tank gets pumped to a 2x6 finisher, to verify density and to get it back to a good temperature for filtering. Real large operations can filter right from the draw off tank because they draw syrup so fast, I only draw 6-7 gal/hr, and I filter and pack 30+ gal batches at a time.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks Dave, I am just trying to wrap my head around the benefits , and now that you say that I guess it would take some pressure off when everything is going on. If you had a choice which would you use propane or oil ? I have neither at the moment and am pondering improvements. Thanks Robert

My thought is that propane will be far quieter in use, all I hear (I used it today as I bottled from another barrel of last year's syrup) all I heard was the slight sound under the pan directly above the tube burners. My 2x6 has 4 tube burners, but I almost always only use the center 2, works good for me. Today as usual I only heated the syrup to about 185-190, then sent it thru the filter press and to the bottler.
    When I'm running new, syrup to filter it for the first time, I heat it to 205-210, but when re-filtering what was in a barrel I only heat it to 1`85-190F.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread