+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firewood question

Hybrid View

Default Firewood question

I've got a hemlock tree that fell about 1.5 years ago. I'm not the best with a chainsaw, but the thing fell right on its side with the branches holding it perfectly horizontal at about chest height, so it was easy and fun to cut. Last year I cut about a cord from it, and the wood dried super quick. Now I've got myself a brand new hobby-sized wood fired evaporator, and wondering if I'll run short of wood. Which comes to my question:

What are the chances that the hemlock that's been there for the 1.5 years, completely suspended in air by the branches but otherwise uncut, could be cut up now and used as firewood soon after? Or, like most wood, would I need to cut and season it for months before even trying?

I only even ask because a) it's not laying on the ground and it's been exposed to air on all sides (albeit still as a full log with bark on), b) it's hemlock so it dried much faster than any other wood I've ever used.

Thanks...

I think it would be ok, but it won't be as seasoned as cut and split. Cut some and try it, that's the best stest
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by stimyg View Post
    I've got a hemlock tree that fell about 1.5 years ago. I'm not the best with a chainsaw, but the thing fell right on its side with the branches holding it perfectly horizontal at about chest height, so it was easy and fun to cut....

What are the chances that the hemlock that's been there for the 1.5 years, completely suspended in air by the branches but otherwise uncut, could be cut up now and used as firewood soon after? Or, like most wood, would I need to cut and season it for months before even trying? Thanks...
    All of the wood I've cut for the past 14 years has been either dead standing or fallen. I'm sure your hemlock is dry and fairly well seasoned by now.

But..For what it's worth...when you say you're not the best with a chainsaw and cutting a fallen and suspended tree at chest height was fun, I think you should keep a few things in mind.
    1. Using a chain saw at anything above waist high is extremely dangerous. One slip and it's coming at your head or neck.
    2. Cutting a tree that's partially held off the ground by branches also has inherent dangers. You don;t know what pressure will be relieved when you cut and where what you're cutting is going to spring to...

Just a word of caution.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

I have all of the normal split wood of maple, white birch, poplar and even some ironwood for the evaporator. I just got a whole bunch of cedar posts that were from a lot of bunk beds. It is very dry, but is stained and likely has some sort of veneer on it.

Cedar will burn like pine I suspect, hot, but can cause a creosote problem, but my concern is for the stain and veneer on it and if that would affect the syrup. I had no plan to use this, but I have a fair amount of it and will be getting more.

Any thoughts if I can use this, or totally stay away from it? My gut says totally stay away from it.

59C53F2C-2EA4-41CA-BB65-614EC6F6E923.jpg
    60920D3F-2735-42DF-8B32-CBF657E0CB8E.jpg
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

It will make great campfire wood. Don't use it in the evaporator. That coating could cause an off flavor in your syrup.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Quote Originally Posted by Pdiamond View Post
    It will make great campfire wood. Don't use it in the evaporator. That coating could cause an off flavor in your syrup.
    That was my thinking and my fear as well. Some of it will be headed for the ice hut.

B68EFD09-3CB7-4337-8EBF-9FAD192A40B7.jpg
    38E4ACF2-53D6-4A3D-BA4F-C1043B5BB276.jpg
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.

HOLY COW! How many bunk beds did you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Pdiamond View Post
    I think there are several environmental reasons not to burn it in the evaporator, although I don't think it would create an off flavor since the smoke shouldn't be passing near your pan. As for burning it as campfire wood - that creates the same environmental impacts and would be even worse since any toxic fumes from the coatings would be more likely to be inhaled.

The best solution is to repurpose the stuff.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Probably the best idea. We will likely make some flower boxes and other outdoor boxes with them. They came from a place that had many bedrooms and they are replacing the furniture.

Maybe I can make some walls out of them for my next sugar shack!
    DYI Vacuum Filter

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    All of the wood I've cut for the past 14 years has been either dead standing or fallen. I'm sure your hemlock is dry and fairly well seasoned by now.

But..For what it's worth...when you say you're not the best with a chainsaw and cutting a fallen and suspended tree at chest height was fun, I think you should keep a few things in mind.
    1. Using a chain saw at anything above waist high is extremely dangerous. One slip and it's coming at your head or neck.
    2. Cutting a tree that's partially held off the ground by branches also has inherent dangers. You don;t know what pressure will be relieved when you cut and where what you're cutting is going to spring to...

Just a word of caution.
    I second this. When I saw chest height I thought oh boy.

Cut it up and see what it looks like. Definitely be a season ahead if you can help it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

It will burn fine, but you must split even the smaller wood, the bark on hemlocks as with all pines has a fire retardant in the bark, to protect it in a forest fire.
    Several years ago I had some scotch pines I cut to burn. I did not split them if they were over 4" diameter. When I put some into a roaring fire every other thing burnt up and at the end of the day, I still had a 4" chunk (Scotch Pine), blackened but still full size.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast