+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firewood question

Default Firewood question

I've got a hemlock tree that fell about 1.5 years ago. I'm not the best with a chainsaw, but the thing fell right on its side with the branches holding it perfectly horizontal at about chest height, so it was easy and fun to cut. Last year I cut about a cord from it, and the wood dried super quick. Now I've got myself a brand new hobby-sized wood fired evaporator, and wondering if I'll run short of wood. Which comes to my question:

What are the chances that the hemlock that's been there for the 1.5 years, completely suspended in air by the branches but otherwise uncut, could be cut up now and used as firewood soon after? Or, like most wood, would I need to cut and season it for months before even trying?

I only even ask because a) it's not laying on the ground and it's been exposed to air on all sides (albeit still as a full log with bark on), b) it's hemlock so it dried much faster than any other wood I've ever used.

Thanks...

I think it would be ok, but it won't be as seasoned as cut and split. Cut some and try it, that's the best stest
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by stimyg View Post
    I've got a hemlock tree that fell about 1.5 years ago. I'm not the best with a chainsaw, but the thing fell right on its side with the branches holding it perfectly horizontal at about chest height, so it was easy and fun to cut....

What are the chances that the hemlock that's been there for the 1.5 years, completely suspended in air by the branches but otherwise uncut, could be cut up now and used as firewood soon after? Or, like most wood, would I need to cut and season it for months before even trying? Thanks...
    All of the wood I've cut for the past 14 years has been either dead standing or fallen. I'm sure your hemlock is dry and fairly well seasoned by now.

But..For what it's worth...when you say you're not the best with a chainsaw and cutting a fallen and suspended tree at chest height was fun, I think you should keep a few things in mind.
    1. Using a chain saw at anything above waist high is extremely dangerous. One slip and it's coming at your head or neck.
    2. Cutting a tree that's partially held off the ground by branches also has inherent dangers. You don;t know what pressure will be relieved when you cut and where what you're cutting is going to spring to...

Just a word of caution.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    All of the wood I've cut for the past 14 years has been either dead standing or fallen. I'm sure your hemlock is dry and fairly well seasoned by now.

But..For what it's worth...when you say you're not the best with a chainsaw and cutting a fallen and suspended tree at chest height was fun, I think you should keep a few things in mind.
    1. Using a chain saw at anything above waist high is extremely dangerous. One slip and it's coming at your head or neck.
    2. Cutting a tree that's partially held off the ground by branches also has inherent dangers. You don;t know what pressure will be relieved when you cut and where what you're cutting is going to spring to...

Just a word of caution.
    I second this. When I saw chest height I thought oh boy.

Cut it up and see what it looks like. Definitely be a season ahead if you can help it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

It will burn fine, but you must split even the smaller wood, the bark on hemlocks as with all pines has a fire retardant in the bark, to protect it in a forest fire.
    Several years ago I had some scotch pines I cut to burn. I did not split them if they were over 4" diameter. When I put some into a roaring fire every other thing burnt up and at the end of the day, I still had a 4" chunk (Scotch Pine), blackened but still full size.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Definitely it should be decent. In fact i'd say cut it as soon as possible. In my experience hemlock rots pretty fast.
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by Mead Maple View Post
    I second this. When I saw chest height I thought oh boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the words of caution. Maybe it’s waist height. I’m pretty careful. Very careful really. But can never be too careful.

Go for it. I cut standing dead softwood all the time and everything above the first 5 or 6 feet fires well.

As the other noted, please, chaps, facemask/helmet and caution. We want to chat with you on the forum about fun stuff, not chainsaw wounds!
    2023: Award Winning Maple Syrup and Honey!
    2023: 200 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: 150 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: Lapierre Vision 2x6 with Preheater & Marcland Autodraw
    2022: Brand new post and beam sugar house
    2022: 4"x40" RO
    Kubota L4701, Kubota BX2380
    2 Black Rescue Dogs, 2 Livestock Guardian Dogs, Many Bee Hives, A Flock of Icelandic Chickens
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss
    vikingmadeforge: Artist Blacksmithing & Bladesmithing
    https://blackdogbeesandmapletrees.com

Please be careful. The smaller branches are often the more dangerous. It would be best if you could pull it with equipment and get it on the ground. Split it down to to 2” to 4” sticks.
    3500 taps, vacuum.

On blow downs I usually start as close to the top as possible and cut towards the trunk. That way your letting it down a little at a time. Watch fore what way a limb is pinching and cut a small release cut then cut from the other side.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast