+ Reply to Thread

Thread: question on selling maple cotton candy in Pennsylvania...

Default question on selling maple cotton candy in Pennsylvania...

I sell our Maple Products at various festivals. I was thinking about making and selling cotton candy. I have my PA dept. of Ag license for our maple operation (which they call a limited food establishment.) I was wondering if I made it in my inspected sugar kitchen could I offer it for sale? I read over the limited food establishment for our state and it specifically mentions cotton candy as something you can make. Or are there more stipulations I will need to meet? Thanks in advance for your help!

I don't think you will have any problem. Many people are making it at fairs and farmers market. You will need to remit sales tax on the sales. The jury is still out as to wether you need a serve safe certificate. Some state people say you do others that you don't. I assume most of the time it will depend on your inspector.

We have made and sold it at events. You could call your inspector and ask them. But I think you will be fine. Sounds like you have all your things in order. One of the way we sell it is in plastic containers as well as bags too.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it, I think I will give it a try to see how it goes.

John, I have asked my inspector (I have the same license that you do) and he said no problem. I can make it on site at events or at the sugar shack either one. We bought a machine and I can tell you that it sells about as fast as you can make it. Your arm will be tired at the end of the day. Give samples to get the crowd started.

Good luck
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Matt, that's good news I am really looking forward to trying it.

+ Reply to Thread