+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RO bucket

Quote Originally Posted by GramaCindy View Post
    Just an FYI Person25, I'm under the impression that the concentrate spoils much more rapidly that un RO'ed sap
    Thanks for the tip! I’ll pay special attention to it. I’ve never had issues in the past but this RO presents another opportunity to learn a new process. I’m hopeful I’ll be ok, I’m able to store my sap and concentrate barrels in refrigeration. I’ve processed about 200 gal of raw sap through the ro since last Sunday. Currently boiling, it all off now. Amazed at the light color of syrup being drawn off. I’m amazed that I am drawing 1gal of finished syrup every two hours.
    Last edited by Person25; 02-15-2020 at 01:39 PM.
    1990-2013 - 35+, 7/16, on milk jugs+3gal galv buckets, 55gal drum firebox, 125 year old 10 gallon porcelain pot, outdoors yaknow.
    2014------- - 40+ Brought the operation indoors, new 10x12 sugar shack, new 2x3 Mason.
    2015-2020 - 60+ 5/16 Buckets, 3/16 tube, DIY RoBucket, on the mason in the shack, me, the dog, sometimes the ole'lady

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Freezing the concentrate will keep it from spoiling, but it will take quite a while to thaw. Yes, concentrate spoils much faster than sap, because you have not only concentrated the sugar but also the micro-organisms.
    Proctor maple research had an article in the Maple News, I believe about how they hold concentrate for a few days, They concentrate to about 35% sugar (for more than any regular RO can get) and they refrigerate a bulk tank to I believe 26 degrees, just short of freezing. They then boil it a day or 2 later.
    I LOVE the Maple news!
    2019 - 1st year 13 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 3 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches so far

I will add an enthusiastic recommendation for the RO bucket and RO in general. I'm very much a small time operation, 40 taps all on buckets, boiling on a turkey fryer. Last year it was taking me an average of 10-12 hours to boil down the 30-35 gallons of sap I was collecting before boiling. That's a lot of time and money - propane ain't cheap - for a quart of syrup.

This year I added the RO20. I'm still getting about 35 gallons of sap. But the difference in time and money is huge. It takes about 20 minutes to run a 5 gallon pail from 2 percent up to 7-8 percent. So in less than three hours I can turn those 35 gallons of sap into 4.5 gallons of concentrate that take only 2 hours to finish.

So I've cut my work time in half and I'm using 1/5 of the amount of propane. That's a huge savings all around.

I'm sure the savings scale up with your operation.

So I got an RO bucket as well (RB10). Looking forward to its benefits! Do I need to rinse anything or clean anything before I start processing sap?
    2011: Turkey Fryer, 3 Taps, 1 Quart!
    2012: Crude Block Setup, 14 Taps & 2.5 Gal. Syrup
    2013-2016: Fuel Tank w/ Steam Pans, 20 Taps and between 4.5-6.5 Gallons
    2017: Next Gen Maple 2x3 Hobby setup, 25 taps & 4.5 Gal.
    2018: 34 taps & 8 gal

Run 10 gallons of non chlorinated water through it to saturate the membranes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you only have city (treated) water, use an activated carbon filter in place of the 5 micron water filter that came with it, and run the 10-gallons through and you should be good to go. Also, buy a box of 5 micron filters and replace them frequently. After I run a batch of sap through, I wash with about 10-gallons of permeate with the old 5 micron filter, then pull that filter out, put in a fresh filter, and run another 10-gallons through. Then you are good to go for the next batch.
    110 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    Leader Half-Pint Supreme with AUF
    Souped-up RO Bucket
    3 Black Rescue Dogs
    A Dozen Bee Hives
    A Flock of Icelandic Chickens
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss
    https://blackdogbeesandmapletrees.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12