+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RO bucket

If you can store it cold enough it will last for a few days. If you just run thru 1 pass, remove 50 of the water, maybe bringing it up to 3.5 or 4% you should be good for 2-3 days if you store on the lowest shelf in your refrigerator. If you concentrate it to 5% or more you might want a colder storage, that might be difficult, your freezer would be too cold and the fridge too warm.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Why would the freezer be too cold? I put about 5 gallons of 8% in my freezer yesterday and it’s pretty solid now. I plan to take it out tomorrow and let thaw in my basement and boil Saturday or Sunday. What issues will I have with this plan. This is my first batch of RO concentrate.

It looks like I’ll be making another ~4 gallons of 8% concentrate tomorrow that I’ll just set outside to keep. I’m doing 2 passes through to reduce my storage needs. Obviously I’m a backyard hobbyist.

I have 190-200 3/16 gravity taps and can get anywhere from 300-400 gallons on a good freeze/thaw/freeze run (not to mention a couple day warm up). I have a larger pump on a 4 membrane RO Bucket kit, and like the others said, I usually start in the morning ROing and have plenty to boil at night. Obviously I probably make darker syrup than others that run a larger scale RO, but for the money I think it has totally been worth it. On smaller runs, my system keeps up with the run fine, and I only have a 275 gallon storage tote for my mainline. I am super close to my shack, and have electricity, so obviously I have the ability to babysit much more than many others. As the others said as well, Carl is great, I couldn't be happier with their customer service and helpfulness when needed! Overall, with your size, if you have the ability to turn it on and off and put it up during freezes, it's a game changer. I have mostly reds, and usually run about 1%, and if the sap is not crazy cold I can run it to 3% pretty much every time with a bit more pressure. I know that isn't recommended, but it will do it ha-ha!

Kody

Where did you guys find an on off pressure switch that works when you run out of sap? I saw one that shuts off when your bucket gets full but I’m not sure it works when the feed bucket gets empty.
    2017 - 45 taps on buckets 260gal sap 6gal syrup
    2018 - 92 taps on bags

All boiled on a homemade 2x5 fuel oil evaporator using 6 steam pans

go to the RO Bucket website Carl sells them there Low pressure shut off
    55 gal drum w/ custom made pan fueled by wood
    homemade 24x36 electrical pull box w/ custom pan for standby evap
    RB-5 RO-Bucket
    Started 2011 with 17 taps
    2018 72 taps Drop lines in 5 gal water Jugs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12