Thread: Tapped in Chester

Threaded View

Pulled taps last weekend. Not the greatest season, but not the worst.

I had one new thing happen - a bucket blew off the tree. I thought the wind had pulled the spile out, but it turned out it had snapped the spile in half. Unfortunately, it was on the best run of the year, so I lost one tap's worth of good sap on one of my best trees, for a full week. I was able to get the remaining chunk of tap out without damaging the hole, and get a new tap put in to the same hole.

I am very excited about my new Mason 2 x 3. I was able to get a couple of boils on it at the end. I really need more sap to put it through its paces properly. I never got anywhere close to syrup in the divided pan, and treating a divided pan like a simple flat pan is a bit of a pain. Particularly at shut-down. I plan to put in more taps next season, so we'll see how that goes. I didn't buy the blower, because I don't have electricity. I saw a lot more black smoke coming out of the smokestack than I'd like, and wasn't getting as strong a boil as I'd like. I'll try splitting wood a little smaller next season, I think that should help.

I got a batch of light, which some people like, a bunch of regular amber, and a good bit of dark, which is my favorite. So no complaints.

Hope the rest of your seasons go/end well.

Cheers,

GO
    Last edited by berkshires; 04-02-2020 at 08:52 AM.
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets