+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building my own 2x4

Default Building my own 2x4

Hello to all mapletrader's
    I started building a 2x4 evaporator last weekIMG_20200131_141525575.jpg
    Here are a couple pics of the frame tacked together I will put up some more when i make more progress. I've got a bagerland continuous flow pan and preheated on it's way.
    Got a couple questions 1 how much room should I have under my pan I made it deep enough for a SL hybrid or a drop flue If I ever feel I need to get bigger? 2 what should I fill the space with sand under the insulation? 3 I am going to make rectangular flue and take it to 8 inch pipe how big should the rectangle be on the top of the evaperator?
    Thanks in advance for your assistance and to everyone who posts on here with there suggestions thoughts and ideas

IMG_20200131_141507084.jpg sorry can't figure out how to put multiple pics on the same post

Looks good. I would reach out to SL to get what they suggest for spacing on their hybrid stuff. Hate to guess going off the website! I won't think you'll need any sand. This is similar to mine (gallery has some pics) and I just used ceramic blanket 2" thick through most and then firebrick splits in the firebox since that's the only area that can get beat up. For the start of your base stack, the rectangle, go as wide as you can across the width of the arch. Mine's made from 1/4" plate and the opening is roughly 20x8" or so. If you don't go wide, there's a chance the draft will not pull heat out to the back corners of the pan, costing you some efficiency.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

I'm wondering same thing. In the same stage as you on a 2x3. Keep us updated on build. Looks good so far!

Very similar build to the one I built last year. I ended up eliminating the ramp this year. We shall see how that goes. Mine is 2x6ish

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    2014 6 Taps Block Arch and momas canning pot, 3 gallons YIKES

2019 100 taps and a new adventure with a home built arch.

2020 90 taps, my wife and I and a Bucket RO...

2021 112 taps and a modified Bucket RO.

2022 120 taps, modified Bucket RO a Wife, Son and Springer

Quote Originally Posted by red/one View Post
    Very similar build to the one I built last year. I ended up eliminating the ramp this year. We shall see how that goes. Mine is 2x6ish

How did you eliminate the ramp? Just made it even depth pst the firebox?

Grabouss, I built the back wall higher and insulated behind it.

2014 6 Taps Block Arch and momas canning pot, 3 gallons YIKES

2019 100 taps and a new adventure with a home built arch.

2020 90 taps, my wife and I and a Bucket RO...

2021 112 taps and a modified Bucket RO.

2022 120 taps, modified Bucket RO a Wife, Son and Springer

Making some progress have to make hinges and latch on the door and make the transition for the smoke stack them I think I will be done with the building/welding part of it
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's coming together nice. Are you going to put a preheat pan up on your flue box? Also wondering what your plan is for grates/ Ash pan. I'm building a 2x3 right now

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast