+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.5" Ball Valve Between Pans - Freezing Risk?

Default 1.5" Ball Valve Between Pans - Freezing Risk?

So I have a quick question regarding the proper use of a ball valve that connects the rear pan to the front pan. In theory, the sap should be concentrated enough that closing the valve at the end of a boil to try and conserve a gradient would work, but I'm concerned that normal overnight lows, say mid-20's, might damage the valve. Any experience or words of wisdom? I'd rather not blow out my valve, but would like to keep a gradient better between pans.

if you're worried about it expanding and breaking the valve you could always get some pan hole plugs and use them rather than shutting the valve. however, i've never had one break on me.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

A sweetened pan tends to get slushy rather than freeze solid. I assume you have a valve on your draw off as well? It would be subject to the same temps and I don’t think they are problematic.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

If it’s a stainless steel ball valve, they are pretty rugged and take a lot to split open.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

If you're really worried about it you could use a gate valve. If they freeze they don't split apart like a ball valve.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

If you have boiled hard for at least 4 hours, the sugar will be high enough that it will not freeze enough to blow the valve.
    However, before I had butterfly valves on my sap tanks, I used 2 valves, one behind the other. First I closed the valve closest to the tank, opened the second valve to drain it, then closed the then empty #2 valve and opened the #1 valve. An open ball valve will not burst if frozen, but if the ball is full of water (or sap) and it is closed, that sap is trapped, and freezing can blow the valve.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier16 View Post
    So I have a quick question regarding the proper use of a ball valve that connects the rear pan to the front pan. In theory, the sap should be concentrated enough that closing the valve at the end of a boil to try and conserve a gradient would work, but I'm concerned that normal overnight lows, say mid-20's, might damage the valve. Any experience or words of wisdom? I'd rather not blow out my valve, but would like to keep a gradient better between pans.
    I wouldn't worry a bit. 4 nights of 20s with no boils in-between, that's a different story. But mid 20s for 8-10 hours is nothing especially if the evaporator has been used, since it will hold heat for a while.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

You don't have to worry about the valve freezing at all. The sugar will keep the concentrated sap from freezing hard enough to break anything, even in temps below zero for an extended time. I've never drained mine between boils and let it sit like that for up to 3 weeks in freezing weather without a problem.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

We've had very cold days without a problem.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Unfortunately I've had a couple of valves split, burst, whatever you want to call it. Thats after starting with 4-6 percent concentrate, then boiling a good amount of time maybe 3ish hours before shutdown time. Admittedly its only been when its gotten unexpectedly cold here, say when the forecast calls for 23 as a low, and then low and behold I wake up and its a crisp 15. Now, every time, evverryy time, its forecast 27 or lower than that I drain the pans into buckets at shutdown. Just a bit more time and work, but zero burst valves since I began doing that. I've tried to attach a pic of my two failures. I just keep the valves as a reminder to myself to do the right thing even when I'm tired at the end of the day.Valvesburst.jpg

+ Reply to Thread