+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Made evaporator

Default Home Made evaporator

So... I am boiling this year on my standard outdoor grill. It is my 1st time boiling and I have (if I tap all my trees) probably 10-12 taps (MAYBE 20 if I REALLY stretch it). I have a 20x12.75x6" pan that was just delivered today. It was suggested that I just batch it and keep adding and keep it at about 2-2.5" to avoid burning the pan until I get used to my own setup then maybe get down to 1/5" or so. Eventually I am going to get small RO especially if I tap some of my father-in-laws' trees.

I know that a grill is not optimal due to heat loss. This year I am just going to try and plug any space I can around the pan with brick. I don't have firebrick so I am sure its going to crack a few but they were free so *shrug*

So it got me thinking about ideas...

What if I got another older grill, and insulated it (with something like this https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Insul...840515352876)? That SHOULD decrease gas consumption, and also increase heat with less heat loss correct? I also could put whatever burner in it I wanted as well, within reason.

My idea is to build a pan into it with a drain (something like this maybe? https://www.amazon.com/VBENLEM-Evapo...NsaWNrPXRydWU= ) so that i can draw it off around say 50 brix and finish inside under a more controlled environment. I will most likley be bringing MOST of it down to sugar, and a little candy, as opposed to syrup. I know it was suggested to me to use a turkey fryer instead of the grill since they can get hotter, but if I mounted 1 (or 2 depending on the size of the grill) inside the grill I could probably boil pretty fast correct?

As a side question, is there a risk of boiling TOO fast besides the obvious of burning the pan if it gets too low?

I have a set up similar to what you are talking about. I bought a high pressure 3 burner stove and it worked well on my test run. I do however still need to plug up some areas around the pan to trap more heat. I was going to use the ceramic insulationEvap.jpgEvap.jpg.

Quote Originally Posted by ken49663 View Post
    I have a set up similar to what you are talking about. I bought a high pressure 3 burner stove and it worked well on my test run. I do however still need to plug up some areas around the pan to trap more heat. I was going to use the ceramic insulationAttachment 20739Attachment 20739.
    YES!!!

ok... so I am not crazy! I do like your look much better than a full size grill that I was going to use. How high do you have the burner set to (temp) and how long does a tank last?

If you use the grill I would suggest getting rid of the old grill propane regulator and putting in an adjustable regulator. That way you can turn it up to really get the sap boiling. Then when you're not boiling you can turn it back down for grilling. It will use more propane but it will boil much harder.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

Quote Originally Posted by raptorfan85 View Post
    If you use the grill I would suggest getting rid of the old grill propane regulator and putting in an adjustable regulator. That way you can turn it up to really get the sap boiling. Then when you're not boiling you can turn it back down for grilling. It will use more propane but it will boil much harder.
    Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Pr...p_pl_dp_8&th=1 How do I tell it gives more gas than the OEM one?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNamelessPoet View Post
    Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Pr...p_pl_dp_8&th=1 How do I tell it gives more gas than the OEM one?
    Yes one like that. Your regular should say the pressure on it. Most are low pressure regulators.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

Looking at some of the awesome builds people are making, it got me thinking about when i make my evaporator, do I need to take air flow into account? If I am using Propane, and wrapping the bottom of the "grill" I am designing should I be concerned with getting enough oxygen to the flame? I THINK I am going to use 1 maybe 2 turkey fryer burners mounted under a pan that is about 24" x 18" x 6" ish unless I can find an inexpensive 2x2 pan. Also, how far away form the bottom of the pan do I mount the burners?
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

Here is one I built: https://www.sugartree.run/2019/03/cu...vaporator.html

Yes you need enough oxygen. This is achieved via orifices and air gas mixers along with general air intake and venting. You want your flame tips right on the pan. The hottest part of the flame is just inside the tip where to color turns darker blue.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

I'm a little concerned about how long the tank will last. Just getting my feet wet for this year so it's fine. This stove has 3 burners that are simular to a turkey fryer. I had them on med. high during my test run. Some ceramic insulation will be added to increase the boil.

Quote Originally Posted by ken49663 View Post
    I'm a little concerned about how long the tank will last. Just getting my feet wet for this year so it's fine. This stove has 3 burners that are similar to a turkey fryer. I had them on med. high during my test run. Some ceramic insulation will be added to increase the boil.
    I read something about it lasting about 8 hours. That sounds about right. I know my regular grill goes 2-3 MONTHS on the same tank cooking a few (3-4) times week anywhere from 20-30 minutes. each time so anywhere from 6-8 hours sounds right to me. That's a cost of about $3-4 a hour to run ($20 a tank) which if you do not have free wood (like myself) that really isn't that bad a cost.
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast