+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tree Health Question

Default Tree Health Question

Getting ready to tap and took a look at some of my trees from last year. I noticed that some trees has healed quite nicely while others still have a very noticeable tap hole. The trees all range in size but some of the larger multiple tap trees were more obvious than the smaller - yet some* smallers didnt heal that great either.

The trees are located in a woods that is used for hunting so they get what they can for sunlight between the other trees.

Last year was the first year these trees has been tapped - do I want to tap again or will I kill them?

tap them again. they'll be fine. often they'll take 2 - 3 years to completely "heal" over. they're healing up, just some heal quicker than others.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

I agree. Some heal so quickly you can find the hole a year later. Not every tree is the same every year.
    3500 taps, vacuum.

Totally agree. They heal at different rates, but they do heal over. I'm sure you are aware, just be careful not to tap ones that are too young.
    2023: Award Winning Maple Syrup and Honey!
    2023: 200 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: 150 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: Lapierre Vision 2x6 with Preheater & Marcland Autodraw
    2022: Brand new post and beam sugar house
    2022: 4"x40" RO
    Kubota L4701, Kubota BX2380
    2 Black Rescue Dogs, 2 Livestock Guardian Dogs, Many Bee Hives, A Flock of Icelandic Chickens
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss
    vikingmadeforge: Artist Blacksmithing & Bladesmithing
    https://blackdogbeesandmapletrees.com

Sometimes if you hit an unhealthy spot or a diseased tree they won't heal well. But I often have wondered, and they do all heal different. The more healthy quickly growing trees heal faster.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Thank you all for the replies. It's not my property/trees so I wanted to be certain. Next up I have to learn pattern tapping.

I will be tapping this Saturday!

If on gravity, you should move right or left 2-3" and up or down 6". Which ever you go, right or left, always go that way on every tree. If on vacuum, drill on the opposite side of the tree, in year 3 drill half way between year 1 and year 2 old tap holes counter clockwise from hole #2, , then yr 4, opposite yr 3. From there you go back to yr 1 hole and drill halfway between #1 and #3. Continue this pattern always trying to be as far away from the most recent holes as possible. While some use some sort of marker to ID holes, most just look for the old scars, they will show for many years in the bark.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks Dave, I never thought that through before about the possibility of vacuum leaks from last year’s hole
    3500 taps, vacuum.

Thanks for the great info!

Looking again at the weather I think it's still a bit early for us on buckets as the weather has changed (shocker right?). Great info here though.

Thanks to all who replied

I just have an off topic question, what does the land being used for hunting have to do with this? Unless hunters are shooting the trees it should not have any affect. My woods are hunted, in fact I have an agent hunter in there during maple season to shoot deer who chew the tubing on nuisance permits.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread