+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Looking forward to looking back

My new setup and holy cow it boils much faster! I cant WAIT to get a pan that fits on this thing because WOW, it boils fantastic, and I know I'm losing a lot of heat. it will certainly do for this year tho! My father-in-law tried my already made syrup and thought it was fantastic, and he is a guy that isnt going to spare your feeling, he is as straight a shorter as they come.

My question is, do I boil it at 1-1.25" or 2"? it seems to boil quite well at both.
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

also... any reason NOT to do another pan next to the bigger one? I mean there ARE 3 burners so why not use them right? obviously more propane, but more surface area so great idea right?
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!

So... I didn't batch it, I just boiled straight through my 15 or so gallons, so it's super dark but WOW it tastes good!

I added brick around the edge again on the new grill and WOW what a difference in the boil!

Sadly, looking at the temps, I have a feeling the season my be over. supposed to be in the 50's and 60's all week and MAYBE hit 30 NEXT Monday night. If we don't get more, then I'll have made about 28-32 oz. Overall I'd say a successful season, I didnt break anything! and I have super tasty syrup!

Look again for this weekend. I'm just north of you and it was 30° this morning. This weekend and into next week we'll have a few days with temps in the 20s. I'm not sure where you're seeing 30° but it's not here....Hartford maybe?
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

We have another addict, too late to get out and there is no Known cure! Welcome to the Maple Trader.
    Just one observation, you might like the syrup a little better if you get a real maple filter, if small scale a cone filter and 2 or 3 pre-filters. Then dampen the filter just before you are going to pour hot syrup into it, put the pre-filters in first and pour the syrup in. Find a way to keep the syrup hot as it filters. When the top pre-filter plugs, carefully lift it, slowly pour the syrup into the next pre-filter and keep going. When you wash the filter and pre-filters just use hot water and never wring them out, just gently squeeze then let them drip dry the rest of the way. After the season make sure the filter and pre-filter are completely clean (plain hot water) and fully dry before sealing them in a plastic bag. Those filters will last for many years if cleaned properly and never put away with any moisture left in them.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Look again for this weekend. I'm just north of you and it was 30° this morning. This weekend and into next week we'll have a few days with temps in the 20s. I'm not sure where you're seeing 30° but it's not here....Hartford maybe?
    I got down to 33 at my house... so close!

I do see a few days this weekend like you said, but I'm concerned everything has budded here. hey I'm still going to collect and try you if it runs!

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    We have another addict, too late to get out and there is no Known cure! Welcome to the Maple Trader.
    Just one observation, you might like the syrup a little better if you get a real maple filter, if small scale a cone filter and 2 or 3 pre-filters. Then dampen the filter just before you are going to pour hot syrup into it, put the pre-filters in first and pour the syrup in. Find a way to keep the syrup hot as it filters. When the top pre-filter plugs, carefully lift it, slowly pour the syrup into the next pre-filter and keep going. When you wash the filter and pre-filters just use hot water and never wring them out, just gently squeeze then let them drip dry the rest of the way. After the season make sure the filter and pre-filter are completely clean (plain hot water) and fully dry before sealing them in a plastic bag. Those filters will last for many years if cleaned properly and never put away with any moisture left in them.
    good advice!

I'm definitely going to get a real filter for next season. The "Honey I need" list is getting longer lol

Filtering is the one thing I spend the most time experimenting with. Being small scale makes it more difficult. Like Nameless above, I'm making syrup in small batches. Usually boiling around 30 gallons or less.
    The problem with a "real" maple syrup filter is, I don't have enough finished syrup to run through it. If I were to put 2 or 3 pre-filters inside the thicker bag filter, there wouldn't be much left. The 2 or 3 pre-filters soak up syrup and particles, and the thick bag soaks up the rest before it has much of a chance to run out.
    I can only speak from my experience, and I'm thinking, if Nameless ran his 20 ounces of finished syrup through pre-filters and the thick bag filter, he wouldn't end up with 20 ounces.

If you use good pre filters they will get a large portion of the nitter out of the syrup. You can simply decant the syrup after that. Which is to pack it up and let it sit on a shelf for a while. All the nitter will settle to the bottom of the jar. You can then pour the syrup out of the jar being careful to leave the bottom gunk. Carefully reheat to 180 and repack for storage. Or store the opened product in the fridge for use.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast