+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2020 Looking forward to looking back

Quote Originally Posted by Cjadamec View Post
    If you use good pre filters they will get a large portion of the nitter out of the syrup. You can simply decant the syrup after that. Which is to pack it up and let it sit on a shelf for a while. All the nitter will settle to the bottom of the jar. You can then pour the syrup out of the jar being careful to leave the bottom gunk. Carefully reheat to 180 and repack for storage. Or store the opened product in the fridge for use.
    hah! I must have read your mind. I have a large 1 gallon glass jar that I was doing that in. I let it sit for a couple days then drained it. I didnt reheat tho so I guess I'll yo back and do it again and reheat it. I didnt think about the bacteria again.

I'm going to see how it flows Monday as it looks like a good day, my only fear is all the buds. If its meh, will it work for sugar? I'm not sure I'll even get enough if I get any, but if its buddy will sugar still work?
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

When the trees go buddy you will taste it in the sap and in the syrup. I've already pulled my taps where I am. I haven't seen any temps below freezing for almost 3 weeks.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

Quote Originally Posted by TheNamelessPoet View Post
    hah! I must have read your mind. I have a large 1 gallon glass jar that I was doing that in. I let it sit for a couple days then drained it. I didnt reheat tho so I guess I'll yo back and do it again and reheat it. I didnt think about the bacteria again.
    If you use the decant method, you only need to reheat it if you will store it at room temperature. If you want, just decant it for up to 2 weeks, stored in a cool place out of the sun, then carefully pour off the clear syrup and refrigerate it. In the fridge it will last at least 5-6 months and at that scale I suspect it willo be consumed before that long.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234