+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Candy & sugar quandry

Default Candy & sugar quandry

So I decided to make a batch of candy and granulated sugar lastnight. I figured I would just pour off a small quantity of syrup to make about 20-30 maple leafs 1/3 oz when It hit temp. then let the rest of the syrup run up to temp for sugar while I did the candy.
    So the candy came out great. supper smoth on the toung.
    The sugar crystalized great. Took the rest to 168°-170° and it just didn't want to go off in the mixer it started to crystallize but stayed wet so after a good 7 minutes in the mixer I added some water back to it and took it to candy temp and made more awesom candy. It actually set faster in the second batch than the first.
    I made a quart into sugar earlier in the week out of the same batch and it was poof steam cloud and then a mixing bowl of beautiful sugar. Pardon my French but WTF did I do .
    25 years sugaring
    2018 191taps. Made 80 gallons
    Two taps to a 5 gallon bucket roadside trees.
    A retired dad to hump buckets and do most of the boiling the great wife that let's me spend lots of time and money.
    New Smokey lake 2×6 raised flue SSR on my own version of the silverplate arch.
    2019 new hood and new preheater concept that worked great.
    306 taps roadside trees

It's the Maple Gods. Just when you think you know all the answers, they change all the questions .LOL
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

+ Reply to Thread