+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of stainless tanks

Default Value of stainless tanks

I have an opportunity to buy the following stainless dairy tanks for sap storage:

500 gallon
    1000 gallon

Would anyone know what a decent price for them would be (Canadian $'s)

A general rule is $1 per gallon of capacity. But given this time of the season that may go up.
    2022 - 157 taps, 40 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 171 taps buckets and tubing, 41 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 225 taps bags and tubing, 45 gallons of syrup
    2019 - 180 taps buckets and bags, 50 gallons of syrup
    Lapierre 2x8 Vision with reverse flow, hood & preheater
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Lapierre 10" short bank press

I just bought 1 the other day for 1 dollar a gallon, storage / non cooling. I have payed more if the tank fits a certain purpose.

In the US, $1/gal is the norm, for private sales if the tank is in good shape and has the cover(s). If a tank is a vacuum tank it can go as high as $2/gal (US). From a dealer it often goes for more. Also, a working tank goes for lots more with the agitator and compressor.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

thanks everyone

A dollar a gallon has been pretty standard for used. Finally starting last year I see a decent amount of used tanks for sale and the price is coming down as people get more seasons on them and their money's worth they part with them cheaper, vs someone who bought one last year and is upgrading already this year- they will want top dollar. There's one on Craigslist right now 1500 gal for 1200.00
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Don't forget - if the used market is reasonably priced, new market is likely down too. New SStanks are a great value over used since you can spec out the size and dimensions for your specific needs. Working with equipment that is less than optimum will increase your headaches and reduce your overall profit. At that point you'll figure out that an extra 20 cents per gallon for new would have been a bargain.

Speaking from experience.
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 02-10-2020 at 05:58 AM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I think it's considerably more than an extra 20 cents a gallon for new, more like 50-60 cents isn't it? But yes- like anything to do with maple, best to oversize for your needs and think ahead a little.

If you can get them for $1/gallon that's a steal. If they are Zero tanks and hold vacuum I'd ask $2/gallon if selling and would be offering $1.50/gallon if buying.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    Don't forget - if the used market is reasonably priced, new market is likely down too. New SStanks are a great value over used since you can spec out the size and dimensions for your specific needs. Working with equipment that is less than optimum will increase your headaches and reduce your overall profit. At that point you'll figure out that an extra 20 cents per gallon for new would have been a bargain.

Speaking from experience.
    Most new tanks are in the $2.25-2.50 per gallon range, long ways from $1-1.50 per gallon
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast