+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to stop boiling?

Default how to stop boiling?

Greetings,
    I am a complete rookie and this is my first year. I have been reading and learning a great deal here. THANK YOU!
    I am recently retired and jumping into this with both feet. I have 47 acres and with probably 1/3 of that sugar maples. Since its my first year probably 50 taps max....probably won't get bigger than that in the future...right????
    I am building myself and oil tank evaporator, insulated and bricked. I'm having local supplier build me a 2x4 flat open pan with draw off valve.

So, I will be boiling a batch to near syrup and drawing off to finish and pack in mason jars on propane stove inside.
    My question is how to not burn the bottom of my pan when I draw off?
    Do I have to somehow remove the pan from the top of the evaporator and then draw off?
    How about lifting the pan up off the top rail of the evaporator and slide some 3 inch angle iron to prop it up off the heat?
    As I get down to a certain depth....1 inch??? +/-??? Do I just stop feeding the fire and let it cool down and hope it doesn't evaporate too much more? I realize I will have to "learn" the rate at which my evaporator burns.
    Last edited by TonyMo; 02-08-2020 at 04:23 PM.

Some batch evaporators have a frame on the side that your pan slides onto, you could build one like that. You can also stop firing when at near syrup and finish on a propane burner. If it were me i'd get a divided pan then you can draw syrup and still have sap in your pan.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

^^^the guy making my pan builds evaporators and pans of all different types. He tells me I don't have enough taps (50)/sap to run a divided pan.

I was thinking of ways to weld in some removable brackets that I could slide the pan onto
    Last edited by TonyMo; 02-08-2020 at 05:12 PM.

I originally had a 2 x 3 divided pan, similar to the leader half pint pan (do a search for a pic). It was the CDL version with a drainage tap (actually 2). Have one made similar to the half pint. Shutting down is as simple as opening the drainage tap and pushing the sweet forward by adding sap (or water) to the opposite side. Shut he tap, add water to the pan (and vinegar if you wish) and let the pan sit over night. Check the pan later in the evening and add additional water if needed. I would boil 7 - 8 gal an hour. Made for a long day.

Have fun.
    2x6 Phaneuf, Lapierre 125 Turbo

On my 2 by 5 pan, I welded handles on both sides. When it comes time to empty it me and a buddy lift the pan up, another guy slides a wet slab of plywood under it. We drain the pan, pour a little fresh sap in, pull out the plywood and start all over again. Works like a charm and you aren't rushed in the process.

Jim

Be very careful lifting and moving/ tilting the pan. Your dealing with syrup that can burn/scald you! Batch processing can be tricky. Your chances of scorching the pan as you draw off is increased. I have seen pans lifted off the arch as mentioned. Slid off as mentioned and hinged to allow the syrup to run out the port. I think the least dangerous may be a good hinged system. Get to syrup cover the fire with some tin. carefully and safely lift the pan wit a rope/ pulley system to allow the syrup to run out the drain. lower the pan and immediately flood the pan with fresh sap or water if your sap is gone.
    Good luck with your sugaring operation, it can be addictive.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Tony,
    We tried lifting the pan off when we first started and it ended badly, lol. I have a home made barrel evaporator with flat pan and what I do now is prop door open and shovel out coals into a 30 gallon metal barrel, then cover. Let arch cool down for a couple minutes and then run the near syrup through pre filters and into stock pot which is finished on propane (works slick). I just cut the around the barrel end and welded hinges near the top. I prop door open to control draft and it makes it easy to shovel out coals. Not the prettiest but works well. Evaporator.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMo View Post
    Greetings,
    I am a complete rookie and this is my first year. I have been reading and learning a great deal here. THANK YOU!
    I am recently retired and jumping into this with both feet. I have 47 acres and with probably 1/3 of that sugar maples. Since its my first year probably 50 taps max....probably won't get bigger than that in the future...right????
    I am building myself and oil tank evaporator, insulated and bricked. I'm having local supplier build me a 2x4 flat open pan with draw off valve.

So, I will be boiling a batch to near syrup and drawing off to finish and pack in mason jars on propane stove inside.
    My question is how to not burn the bottom of my pan when I draw off?
    Do I have to somehow remove the pan from the top of the evaporator and then draw off?
    How about lifting the pan up off the top rail of the evaporator and slide some 3 inch angle iron to prop it up off the heat?
    As I get down to a certain depth....1 inch??? +/-??? Do I just stop feeding the fire and let it cool down and hope it doesn't evaporate too much more? I realize I will have to "learn" the rate at which my evaporator burns.
    24x24 post and beam Sugarhouse (built by Lyle Merrifield and crew)
    2x6 raised flue cdl traditional evaporator
    600 gallon milk tank
    300 taps on combination of 3/16 and buckets

conveyor2.jpgconveyor3.jpg
    For me, the best way to end my boil has been a roller conveyor. At 217 degrees I pull off and immediately filter before I take it home to finish on propane. As you know hot filtering is much better than trying to cold filter. I see conveyors all the time on CL. Good luck to you.
    1960 - 1970s 70 taps on galvanized buckets with Dad and Grandpa.
    1970s - 1985 Acted crazy!
    1986 - 2005 20-30 buckets.
    2006- 2017 70 buckets and bags
    2017-2019 100 bags and buckets
    2020 Finally retired!!! 75 buckets, 50-75 on tubing. RO Bucket, New 12 X 16 Shack and a 42X42 flat pan.
    2021-Adding another 125 taps along with a second RO bucket.
    2022- Shooting for 350 taps, with 100 on lines.
    Lots of Family and Friends and dogs named Skyy and Nessy!

Thanks for the ideas. I'm thinking I will try and slide the pan off. I like the conveyor roller idea!

Tony, Good luck with your season. We are here for you. With 10-15 acres of woods you may get a lot bigger. Have fun!
    be safe! Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast