+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sap Sacks Hanging Crooked - Running On the GROUND!

Default Sap Sacks Hanging Crooked - Running On the GROUND!

I'm using Sap Sacks for the first time and running into a problem. Any suggestion or corrections would be appreciated! Finally have sap running again in Southeast Missouri. Checked a couple of my sacks to find them most empty, hanging cattywampus, dripping on the edge of the sack holder and running onto THE GROUND! What am I missing in installation/application? I ended up breaking some sticks to shove behind and push them out a bit, that seems like I should not have to do that.

Here's what I found:
    MapleSapSack01.jpg

My temporary fix with a stick. That will probably last as long as the first windy day.
    MapleSapSack02.jpg

Thanks for looking and any ideas.

John

P.S. Thanks to the moderators/owners for implementing image uploads. Have used forums in the past where the only way to include an image was with HTML and a link to an image hosting site.

jT

Those look like they're bucket spouts. You could possibly cut some off the end to shorten them up or mill up some wood shims to replace the sticks...

Sap Meister makes spouts specifically for bag holders.
    https://sapmeister.com/?product=bag-spout

There are others out there, but I used them with good results.

Good luck, and that is one of the best focused pics I think I've ever seen on Trader.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

My bag spiles have a ring like a washer you would use on a bolt. You might be able to put washers on those spiles to make it work for this year. I agree with John that those look like bucket spiles.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

@John Allin and @Pdiamond ,

Thanks for the replies. Thought maybe it was something I was missing. Odd thing is, those were part of a "Beginners Sap Bag Holder Kit" from Roth Sugar Bush.
    • 12 - Blue Sap Bags
    • 12 - 7/16" Hookless Aluminum Spouts
    • 12 - Galvanized Sap Bag Holders
    • 1 - 7/16" Tapping Bit

Kind of thought they would match everything up correctly. Maybe I'll drop them an email.

Thanks for the picture compliment. Got my DSLR out so I could control things.

John

I used the home made PVC pipe holders for my sap bags. I find them easier to use a if you cap the top (with say tinfoil) then very little gets into the bag with the sap. ie no bug, etc.
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

@wobbletop - found directions for those after ordering my set of steel bag hangers. Made the PVC with a 4" piece of 2" Schedule 40. The top/open end seals up very nicely with a 2" Knock-Out Test Cap, this is from Menard's. Easily pops out, keeps dirt, leaves and rain out, costs $0.33/each.

I'm also going to trial a make-your-own-bag with vacuum sealing food bag, sealed at one end. Have to look on here and see what the up/down sides of that are.

Just need to get some more taps to trial them on.

John

I've looked forever to find a good cap. The PVC ones actually seem to shrink year to year and don't fit anymore. Possibly my wife put them through the dishwasher.

How many mils is the food bag? I worry about them rubbing on the trees in the wind if they are too thin.
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

I made my own pvc holders as well. I was going to use vacuum sealed bags but after trying 1 I bought sap sacks. Vac bags r stiff to wrap are the holder. If you do the math sacks are cheaper I believe. As for caps I looked all over for a reasonable price cap. I did the cheap way. Used a thin walled bottle of water. I cut it about 2” down from where it starts to go to the neck. Then cut out the key hole. Spike holds it on. I tried to download pic but didn’t work.

The tap hole is not big enough to sink your taps in. Use a 7/16" bit and pound them flush with the ridge on the spout but not too tight to split the wood above or below. Then the gap will close. The drill angle down looks good! These are the spouts I use, no problems. (ok, once during a very windy day, and after I emptied the bags, they blew off).
    Ross
    2009 8 taps one cup syrup gas stove boiling

Quote Originally Posted by Etown Maple Syrup View Post
    The tap hole is not big enough to sink your taps in. Use a 7/16" bit and pound them flush with the ridge on the spout but not too tight to split the wood above or below. Then the gap will close. The drill angle down looks good! These are the spouts I use, no problems. (ok, once during a very windy day, and after I emptied the bags, they blew off).
    I did use the 7/16" bit that came with the kit-taps/bags/holders. I stopped tapping when it sounded solid, concerned about splitting the wood - so yes, definitely before it's seated to that ridge. I'll have to do some judicious tapping.

This afternoon I came up with a temporary fix. Cut some pieces out of a piece of 1x4 Cedar Plank that I had scrap to put behind the holders.
    SapBagBracket01.jpg
    SapBagBracket02.jpg

Thanks for all the help!

John
    Last edited by JayTee; 02-08-2020 at 09:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast