+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sap Filtering - What is that sludge anyway

Default Sap Filtering - What is that sludge anyway

Hi all,

First year on a bigger setup and boiled 4 gallons yesterday.

I’m currently using a Liberty 1qt synthetic filter from amazon and standard cone rack.
    Seems 4 gallons in I have a good layer of funk building up on the filter wall and drastically slowing the filtering to the point where it is slower than I’m drawing off.

What should I do to help this?

I’m not wanting To break the bank but would also like to have syrup that doesn’t have a layer of sediment in the bottom of the bottle after sitting for a long while.

I don’t imagine boiling much more than 6 gallons in a day for reference of needs.

Also, what is that brown layer of sludge anyway?

Tell me what is working for you all.

Thanks

Bryan
    2024 - 160 taps, Shurflo 4048. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 Raised Flue. 5x400 RO.
    2023 - 121 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 20 gallons.
    2022 - 103 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 23 gallons.
    2021 - 77 taps on Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 22 gallons.
    2020 - 70ish taps on Shurflo 4008. Mason 2x4 XL. DIY R.O. ~24 gallons.

Just to clarify, the title of your post is about sap but the content sounds like you are filtering finished syrup off of your evaporator? If the latter is true, then the sludge you encountering is calcium malate, the salt of an organic acid produced by maple trees, more commonly known as niter or sugar sand. It is a normal byproduct of syrup production. Once syrup reaches a certain density or thickness, the niter precipitates out of solution. Using a prefilter could help manage some of the issue, but regular filters do tend to plug fairly quickly. Keeping several of them on hand could help. A one quart filter is quite small for the volume you are processing. A larger 8 quart filter would be much better.
    Last edited by ecolbeck; 02-06-2020 at 06:34 AM.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Prefilters will extend the time you get before your cone filter clogs up and needs to be cleaned. They are cheap enough and worth the price to make filtering the sap a little bit easier.
    I've found these cooking oil filters work well. I stack 3-4 inside of each other then put the stack inside the fabric filter. Once on of the pre-filters clogs up and slows down I pull it out and keep on going.

I also agree you should also step up to the 8 quart cone filter size and use the "sailor hat" method when filtering. By pulling the center of the cone up and into the cone to make it look like a sailor hat you greatly increase the effective surface area of the filter being used during filtering.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

The syrup prefilters as well as the cone filter are washable, just wash in clean water and never wring to remove water, just squeeze them. If you wring them, you break the filter fibers and render it useless.
    To aid in filtering you can also mix some Filter Aid (food grade DE) into the syrup just before adding it to the filter, if doing a 1 gal batch (make sure it's hot, add about 1/2 cup DE, stir, then pour it into the cone filter. The DE will not pass thru the filter, and it becomes the best filter available. The DE catches the niter and builds up on the filter, creating an ever thickening filter cake. Wash when done. To buy the small amount of DE you will need, either buy some from another bigger producer or order it from The Maple Guys, they sell a small bag. Do not use swimming pool DE, it is not the same and is not food grade.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Does the DE pass through the pre-filter? Or are you using the DE instead of using the prefilter.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

You may want to change the title. You can do that I believe by going back and editing the first post. Sure sounds like syrup being filtered. The brown residue is sugarsand or niter. Thats the stuff your filtering out. I dont know of the filter your using? It may be ok?
    You need to have a extra set of filters and then swap them out when the first ones get clogged.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Thanks all.
    You are all correct, I meant to type syrup, not sap.
    I’ll get a larger synthetic cone, prefilters and the optimizer.
    I appreciate all the feedback!
    2024 - 160 taps, Shurflo 4048. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 Raised Flue. 5x400 RO.
    2023 - 121 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 20 gallons.
    2022 - 103 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 23 gallons.
    2021 - 77 taps on Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 22 gallons.
    2020 - 70ish taps on Shurflo 4008. Mason 2x4 XL. DIY R.O. ~24 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    The syrup prefilters as well as the cone filter are washable, just wash in clean water and never wring to remove water, just squeeze them. If you wring them, you break the filter fibers and render it useless.
    I have heard (I forgot where, most likely on another thread here) that you should boil your cone filter to get the left over residue out, even after rinsing it a lot. I have also been told that you should boil it until it turns white white again. Well, mine is not turning white again. It still has a faint “ring around the collar” look. Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to clean the cone filter out? Mine is synthetic, not actual wool. Thanks!
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

+ Reply to Thread