+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auxiliary fuel tank for a Honda pump

Definitely more than two options here.

- run return line back to new tank
    - keep return line where it is and Tee into the line feeding the carburetor so that both new and old tank feed the carburetor. You will need to be careful of how high you mount the new tank to avoid putting excess head pressure on the old tank. Or use check/shutoff valves to isolate the tanks from each other.
    -Feeding the line through the gas cap will be very difficult to seal and will be prone to leaking I wouldn't suggest that route.
    - From what I understand the fuel return line is only used as a way to make the priming bulb work. While the engine is running the return line isn't actively moving fuel. Different engines might operate differently here.

If it were me I would run both lines back to the new tank to keep things simple. That or just Tee into the main fuel line and use a check valve to prevent the Aux tank from flooding the original tank.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

Quote Originally Posted by Cjadamec View Post
    Definitely more than two options here.

- run return line back to new tank
    - keep return line where it is and Tee into the line feeding the carburetor so that both new and old tank feed the carburetor. You will need to be careful of how high you mount the new tank to avoid putting excess head pressure on the old tank. Or use check/shutoff valves to isolate the tanks from each other.
    -Feeding the line through the gas cap will be very difficult to seal and will be prone to leaking I wouldn't suggest that route.
    - From what I understand the fuel return line is only used as a way to make the priming bulb work. While the engine is running the return line isn't actively moving fuel. Different engines might operate differently here.

If it were me I would run both lines back to the new tank to keep things simple. That or just Tee into the main fuel line and use a check valve to prevent the Aux tank from flooding the original tank.
    Thank you for explaining that to me.

(just thinking outloud..) If the return fuel line is really only used for priming, would it hurt just to leave it in place and not connect it to the new tank? If the tank on the pump is empty and I'm feeding the pumps carb from the new tank, the amount of fuel returned from the fuel return line should be so small, it would never fill or overfill the original tank? My concern is getting a proper seal to the new tank for the fuel return line. Also, my plan is to keep the auxiliary tank in the woods for the season. I'll already have to disconnect one line from the aux tank, but that is via petcock, and pretty simple/clean/easy. I don't have a clean way of inserting the fuel return line to the aux tank other than drilling into the aux and trying to seal with caulk, so that would get messy/cumbersome disconnecting every time.
    Mike

450 taps on vacuum - 2018 - 150 gal
    530 taps on vacuum - 2019 - 190 gal
    520 taps on vacuum - 2020 - 196 gal
    515 taps on vacuum - 2021 - 150 gal
    24 x 32 Pole Barn Sugar House 2018
    Smoky Lake 2x8 Silverlake Raised Flue w/ concentric exhaust 2018
    Memprotec 350H RO
    Smoky Lake Water Jacket Bottler 2018
    Smoky Lake Filter Press 2018
    Smoky Lake Water Jacket Draw Off Tank 2018

I would try the simple way first of just supplying fuel with the new tank and leave the return line where it is. Run the engine and hang out to make sure it runs right.

If you find after 10-30 min it starts to run funny you will need to go through the trouble of teeing the fuel supply lines from both tanks together so that the return line doesn't pressurize the old tank.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

Quote Originally Posted by Cjadamec View Post
    I would try the simple way first of just supplying fuel with the new tank and leave the return line where it is. Run the engine and hang out to make sure it runs right.

If you find after 10-30 min it starts to run funny you will need to go through the trouble of teeing the fuel supply lines from both tanks together so that the return line doesn't pressurize the old tank.
    Thanks, I will do that.
    Mike

450 taps on vacuum - 2018 - 150 gal
    530 taps on vacuum - 2019 - 190 gal
    520 taps on vacuum - 2020 - 196 gal
    515 taps on vacuum - 2021 - 150 gal
    24 x 32 Pole Barn Sugar House 2018
    Smoky Lake 2x8 Silverlake Raised Flue w/ concentric exhaust 2018
    Memprotec 350H RO
    Smoky Lake Water Jacket Bottler 2018
    Smoky Lake Filter Press 2018
    Smoky Lake Water Jacket Draw Off Tank 2018