+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Filter and Steam Heat Bottler

Default Vacuum Filter and Steam Heat Bottler

I am a small hobby producer and wanted a better option for filtering syrup without the high cost of commercial units such as presses, which require far more volume than I produce in a day. Using some info on MT I put together this little vacuum filter and steam heat bottler. I did a test run and am pretty happy with how it worked and the reaults. Once the season starts (tapped today) and I get more runtime with it I will post an update.

https://www.sugartree.run/2020/02/va...-hobbydiy.html

20200129_215130.jpg
    Resized_tempFileForShare_20200131-134642.jpg
    https://youtu.be/LqHUPicuOfc
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

Looking forward to see how it works for you, nice job 👍

That looks good! Do you have a link for the pan gasket and moisture separator? I'm thinking of making one out of my 10 gallon dairy can.
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

I custom made the gaskets using 1/4 inch silicone tubing that I put over 10 guage copper wire. This gives you food grade, high heat seal with enough rigidity to stay in place. I spliced the loop at an angle so the cut ends can compress together. This worked well for a pot that had an internal lip/ledge. Alternatively you could do the same thing but slice the tubing length wise and put it over the lip of your pot.

Link to air/moisture separator:
    Neiko 30252A Water and Oil Separator for Air Line, 1/4" NPT Inlet and Outlet, 90 psi https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GQ3SUA..._E-fpEbPHQZBE3
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press

Great Idea for the gasket. Thank you.
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

The gasket on the 9" CDL vacuum filter I have is just a thick ring of rubber.

Dan - I watched your video and was hoping to see the end. Did all the syrup go through? How much niter was on the filter at the end?

Mine is clogging and I'm still troubleshooting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

That looks like a great design DRoseum.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

DRoseum,

I like your filter and plan to do something very similar. I have a question: do you not get leakage where the silicone tubing ends meet on the pot seal or have you bonded these ends somehow? I realize that some small leaks are inevitable and will not degrade the performance greatly but was wondering if there was more to your "o-ring" than you've described. Thanks.

Conococheague

I didnt bond the splice but considered doing so. You could easily do that with a high temp food grade silicone caulk. However, my splice is angled top to bottom so when compressed from top and bottom the angled surfaces compress against each other and create a nice seal. Rough sketch provided.
    Screenshot_20200310-184614_Samsung Notes.jpg
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com

Thanks D. I have another question that would apply to all vacuum filter assemblies. When I filter with gravity through cone filters, I put about 3 pre-filters inside the cone filter and as the niter build up brings the flow through the filter to a crawl, I lift the top pre-filter slowly and carefully out and pour the syrup onto the next pre-filter or back into the unfiltered syrup warming in another pot, trying to minimize the amount of niter going with it. Using flat filters clamped underneath the upper pan, I don't see how this is possible with any syrup trapped by the filters without making a huge mess and having unfiltered syrup all over the top of the lid to the vacuum chamber. Do you just add very small amounts of syrup at a time to the upper pan and remove pre-filters before they become so clogged that you end up with liquid trapped above them? I have seen several videos of the CDL and other homemade versions and I don't see this issue addressed. I could imagine a scenario where the prefilters were in a basket form and sat inside the upper pot but they would have to be sealed to the upper rim of the pot or the air travelling to the evacuated bottom pot would just bypass them and defeat the system. If anybody can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it. Filtering is my least favorite part of this business and I have 9 gallons to do and I'm excited about making and using the vacuum filter but I'm trying to anticipate things that could go wrong and avoid a big mess. Thanks.

Conococheague

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast