+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacuum pump/releaser questions

Default Vacuum pump/releaser questions

This is my first year running a vacuum pump and a releaser so naturally I have a million questions. I have a gast 1550 and a Bernard single vertical releaser.

1. When do I shut the vacuum pump off? Do people run them continuously? Obviously during a freeze up I will shut it off.

2. do I have to do anything to the releaser when I shut the pump off? All the sap should drain out correct? I would hate for it too freeze up and not work or even break it...

3. I know I'm supposed to oil the releaser but I'm not sure all the points I should get. I know the float rod, but do I oil it where the float slides? Or just the top that goes to the lever that shuts off the vacuum? What about where the line switches to move the Piston, where the line switches from one opening to the other?

Thanks for any help. Just trying to get everything in line before taps go in!

Jake
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

When and if you shut the pump off the releaser will dump. Most larger producers turn the vacuum on on day one and don't turn it off until the end of the season, others, myself included, turn mine off as the temperature falls to 28-29F. Sap will run after the freezing temps hit, because the tree does not freeze as soon as the air. To oil the releaser, consult the manual. My releaser gets mineral oil on the lift rod (on the float) and most of the pivot points get food grade light weight grease. Every pivot or sliding part should be lubricated, just keep it very light and only use what the manufacturer specifies. If you don't have the manual, most should be available online.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks Dave. I tried looking for a manual online but couldn't find anything. I'll try contacting lapierre and see if I can get a manual from them.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

I use food grade lubricant on my releasors. Anywhere that some part slides on another I lube, plus the gaskets.

+ Reply to Thread