+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Syrup Bottling Opinion

Default Syrup Bottling Opinion

Hello All,

I've lurked around this website and to my shame have yet to contribute, though I have learned quite a bit from all of you! I am looking to upgrade from stock pots, measuring cups and funnels for filtering and bottling my syrup. I started looking into the coffee urn option and am unsure due to a lot of people mentioning the risk of burning syrup with the heating coils. I stumbled on this unit and was wondering what the seasoned makers think of it:
    https://www.morebeer.com/products/di...925g-110v.html
    I like that the heaters are not directly contacting the syrup so burning is less of a concern, although it is not as good as a steam boiler - and cleanup will be easier as well! I know that there are better filtering/bottling options out there, but where I will probably only ever max out at around 125 taps or so, I see this as a good option.

What do you guys think?

Hi Fireguy55, I use the coffee urn option for my operation. I found a stainless one that's 30 cups. When I start finishing my syrup, I start the pot with water. It takes 30 minutes to be done. 185*. When my syrup is done, I filter it through my press, (or whatever method you use for filtering) then I empty the hot water out of the pot and fill with syrup. I unplug the coffee urn at that time and bottle from there. That way, the maker can't burn the syrup.
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

I've used the coffee urn for a couple years now, and have no complaints at all... No sign of burning. Little bit of a trick to get it to flip from the brewing element to the warming element to get started.... (Bring water to boil and quickly dump it and replace with syrup when the light comes on).... Bottling works great... I set up a cloth filter in the top of the urn... Pre-heat my syrup on the electric stove in pots, and replenish the urn through the filter... Been working good for me.

This unit you are looking at is pretty much the same, fundamentally ... but having the thermostatic control is a huge plus.... bigger volume and same cost as a coffee urn... I think I will order one.

Well I am just a hobby guy 80 taps and I HATE I MEAN HATE to spend money. But after trying the coffee urn and what not, I broke down three seasons ago and bought a somky lake finisher/bottler . It may be the best single thing I have paid for in sugaring.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireguy55 View Post
    Hello All,

I've lurked around this website and to my shame have yet to contribute, though I have learned quite a bit from all of you! I am looking to upgrade from stock pots, measuring cups and funnels for filtering and bottling my syrup. I started looking into the coffee urn option and am unsure due to a lot of people mentioning the risk of burning syrup with the heating coils. I stumbled on this unit and was wondering what the seasoned makers think of it:
    https://www.morebeer.com/products/di...925g-110v.html
    I like that the heaters are not directly contacting the syrup so burning is less of a concern, although it is not as good as a steam boiler - and cleanup will be easier as well! I know that there are better filtering/bottling options out there, but where I will probably only ever max out at around 125 taps or so, I see this as a good option.

What do you guys think?
    I use the same method as wmick and others here, where I dump the hot water out of the urn just before starting to filter syrup directly into the urn.

If I've got a big batch, I might turn off the coffee urn at some point to keep it from starting to make niter.

The big difference between what you're suggesting and what I do is I bought my urn for $10 at a Goodwill. LOL I can't imagine spending hundreds of dollars for something that's basically a pot with a spigot at the bottom.

Gabe
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Yup, I know Gabe you are right. I felt the same way. But its nice to filter with it and when bottling this keeps the temp right at 190 with no guess work. It was a lot to spend but for me it was well worth it. Believe me at my age I have spent money on a lot worse!
    George

Thanks all for the replies! And Berkshires I get that it's essentially a glorified coffee urn lol, and that's what I've been fighting with. I want to upgrade from cups and funnels but don't know if it's worth going all the way to a bonafide finished/bottler.

I was looking at the urn route but the risk of burning is scaring me. I thought this may be a good middle route, since I finish on a turkey fryer anyway, I'm looking for something to filter into and maintain the temperature, I just need to hash out if it's worth the investment over the urn.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Home made 30x48 divided pan
    2021 60 taps, home made 400gpd RO - 7.25 gal
    2020 45 taps, home made 150gpd RO - 2 gal
    2019 40 taps, built 30" x 48" arch and pan - 3 gal
    2018 25 taps, barrel evaporator - 1.5 gal
    2017 17 taps, wood stove with a hole and a steam table pan - .5 gal

I use a coffee urn for bottling. I took it apart and disabled the main element so only the keep warm element operates. I hot filter straight into it and then bottle immediately.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by georgelineman View Post
    Yup, I know Gabe you are right. I felt the same way. But its nice to filter with it and when bottling this keeps the temp right at 190 with no guess work. It was a lot to spend but for me it was well worth it. Believe me at my age I have spent money on a lot worse!
    George
    Hey George, actually I think you're on the right track. I was talking about the OP - I feel like if you're going to spend big $$, why not go ahead and do it right and buy a water jacket like you did, rather than a $200 version of the same thing I and others are doing for cheap. Just not understanding what he's getting for all that extra $$.

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Not having done either the coffee urn method or the true water jacket unit I wasn't sure how much of a problem scorching really was or if the unit i linked was worth the extra money over a $10 urn. I think I will go with the coffee urn for this year and see what coming years will bring (but will probably get a true bottler next year, lol). Thanks all for the help!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast