+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple Syrup straw interest

Default Maple Syrup straw interest

I Been thinking of buying a machine to make syrup straws. Is there any interest out there with any producer looking to have their product put in straws for retail? Are you a producer that would buy them wholesale?

I would definetly be interested in both

The issue you might run into is finding a straw that will accept hot syrup. We've tried with cold syrup and it will mold in a relatively short time. We make honey straws using a plant based straw because of the pending plastic straw laws, but I don't think they'll accept 190 degree syrup.

I was thinking of heating syrup ( hopefully 180)& then put in a boil bath like canning.

We played with them last year and did it cold. Then we heated the filled straws up in hot water on the stove. Just opened one the other day and still as good as day we did it. That was 10 months ago.
    Our biggest struggle was getting them to seal consistently. I'm all ears as to how someone does it consistently and efficiently.

Ideas and problem with the filling of straw thus far makes me wandering if it's worth it ?
    I can have it outsourced but if I can't find a market to sell even wholesale it may be a bust!
    If it's outsourced it would be done in 5 gal batches( about 4200 ).who needs a few hundred?

So give me some more info. What kind of cost are looking at. How do they freeze.
    And if you do this yourself how small of a quantity Would you be able to do. I'm a small producer and would not need more than 1000 to test the water in my market. If this is possible I would be interested.
    25 years sugaring
    2018 191taps. Made 80 gallons
    Two taps to a 5 gallon bucket roadside trees.
    A retired dad to hump buckets and do most of the boiling the great wife that let's me spend lots of time and money.
    New Smokey lake 2×6 raised flue SSR on my own version of the silverplate arch.
    2019 new hood and new preheater concept that worked great.
    306 taps roadside trees

We have been doing maple straws for a few years now. Plain maple and 5 different flavored ones. My daughter does them by hand, a little over 100 of them in an hour. As for shelf life we don't know. Haven't had one go bad yet.

We use an impulse sealer (heavy duty one) I found a used one that was in great condition! And then bought a meat juice injector (yeah that's not the real name!) but boiled it to clean it before using it. Then draw the syrup into the syringe and use that to fill the straws. Takes some practice! We also use a chip clip to hold one end of the straw to let the air out of the straw so it doesn't get air bound. The ends need to be dry in order to seal correctly.

+ Reply to Thread