+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sugar Shack Touring?

Default Sugar Shack Touring?

Hello, I have a bit of an odd request. I am interested in building a sugar shack and would like to see a few in operation. Anyone live in the mid to northern Michigan area and wouldn't mind my wife and i stopping by on a weekend to see your operation and ask a few questions about what you like best/least about your sugar shacks? Beggars can't be choosers, but we were thinking of building something in the 20' x 20' range for a wood fired evaporator. More of a hobby shack then a storefront production operation. So if you have something similar and don't mind entertaining us for a bit, send me a PM and maybe we can work something out when you are boiling.

Thanks ahead of time!

Brian

I am in Lenawee county and would always enjoy visitors.
    2013 25 taps 2.5 gallons
    2014 60 taps 9.5 gallons
    2015 12 x 16 sugar shack 200 taps 1500' 5/16 lines gravity. Home made arch, 2 x 3 pan and 18" x 24" steam pan.
    2016 2 x 5 Smokey Lake hybrid pan. Custom steam hood and float box. Number of taps yet to be determined.
    2017 Made 27 gallons. Added 60 taps on 3/16 lines.
    2018 Adding more 3/16 lines. Made 55 gallons
    2019 Added 4 totes for sap storage. Big shack upgrades.

Brian
    The Bragg Family Farm is in Gaylord. We too enjoy showing our operation. I am also looking at building in the future. Email me and lets get together. I have found maple people to be the friendliest group of people. Always looking to help and disseminated information.
    Rod

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...UBKhMmBxWLF0H3

Check out these plans. My sugarhouse is based on them with a 10 ft extension for a kitchen-RO room on end opposite the wood shed. I upsized the wood shed and added a lean-to addition off the side for a raw sap tank room. The raw sap tank shelter shown is too small for my operation.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I hadnt seen it pop up for a while, But thanks for the link TapTapTap, The design on page 15 is the size of evaporator room I started with. Even 25 years ago the thought was to buy a larger evaporator if needed. (R.O.'s just were not as popular yet.)
    I added the back room/ loft and the wood shed and have lived happily ever after. Kind of like a garage, you cant hardly build them too big!

Your welcome to visit us in NW PA too.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I know it may be a bit of a drive but your more than welcome to come visit my operation. You could leave on a Friday afternoon and make it a long weekend. My sugar house started as a 20 x 20 with a wood fired evaporator so I know exactly what you are looking at in terms of space and layout.

Picture of my sugarhouse. Original building in front with two additions in backMaple2019.jpg

Nice looking Allis Chalmers Chris
    2016 - 30 buckets and a barrel evaporator (outside)
    2017 - 45 buckets and a barrel evaporator (outside)
    2018 - 3/6 tubing, Mason 2x3, and a small shack

I'm in Elise my sugar Bush is not what you want to see but my buddy's that I re built last year is right along the line of what you'd like. Pm me or text 517 719 6235.
    25 years sugaring
    2018 191taps. Made 80 gallons
    Two taps to a 5 gallon bucket roadside trees.
    A retired dad to hump buckets and do most of the boiling the great wife that let's me spend lots of time and money.
    New Smokey lake 2×6 raised flue SSR on my own version of the silverplate arch.
    2019 new hood and new preheater concept that worked great.
    306 taps roadside trees

Thank you everyone for the replies. I’ll have to take a few of you up on your offers. Sorry for the slow reply!

+ Reply to Thread