+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cinder block evaporator design

Default Cinder block evaporator design

So I have been using this arch for several years. I recently had to move its location. So I figured I take some pictures and see if anyone had some tips on its design.

It is not cemented. It fits 5 full size chafing pans. And near the stack I put a cheaply stainless steel stock pot that acts as a Sap warmer. In the middle I place cinder blocks to take up the interior space. (Not pictured) I will back fill the spaces on the side of interior cinder blocks with some dirt and gravel. Then at the front interior block I will use the dirt and gravel to create a slope. And I line the whole thing with fire bricks. In the very front ,the fire box, I do cement the fire bricks up the sides. Finally I use a fire place grate. I use mostly pallet wood and some tree wood. The chimney also has a damper.

Good air flow is achieved. And it gets HOT, enough to melt the fire place grate.

But I never seem to get good Evaporation rate. Or at least as good as I think I should.

So what does everyone think? Any tips or advice to make it better?
    7ADFA5B8-2897-4E99-AF27-E96EC30BA838.jpg
    48FBAFC6-D2FD-446B-9CC6-40111018B0FD.jpg
    CE1FF803-5721-4F09-A194-C3FF52C6EB1D.jpg
    BACA0761-601A-452F-A9A9-17434A8C26AA.jpg
    7183D016-1DA2-43CC-8B03-6E8FFBDBD816.jpg

Two things come to mind
    1. Where is the air intake? Ideally air would come in under the grates.
    2. How much space is there between the ramp and the bottom of the pans? The space should be minimal, a couple of inches at most.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

There is a slider vent on the door, but mostly I prop door open.

The distance between pan, (just eye balling from memory. Is probably 5 to 6 inches.

Running the evaporator with the door open will definitely slow down the boil. Cold air should only enter directly under the fire. Raising up the front plate so that air can enter underneath could be a simple solution. The picture below (kinda small, sorry) shows a front plate raised up on a concrete block with a cheap bathroom fan blower directed through opening in the block.

Building up the ramp to within a few inches of the pans will help a tremendous amount as well.

37BD2881-E29D-41E4-A583-B5ADF45BE43B.jpg
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Looks like you might have a damper installed on the stack? I would remove that. There shouldn't be any flue restrictions. Hope this helps. Be sure to post how it goes.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

just a quick thought. you could turn the blocks on the bottom row under your fire so they let in air. i'd guess that'd get your fire hotter?
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Has anyone ever tried pouring concrete and have solid concrete walls, instead of cinder blocks for their evaporator?
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.

never tried it, but my grandfather did. he built his sugarhouse into a bank. he dug out the bank and poured the concrete into the bank the size of his pans. poured the ramp, sides etc all in solid concrete. if i remember correctly, the walls were about a foot thick. i have no idea if he put any insulation stuff in there or not, but it's still standing and there aren't any cracks. i'm 39 and that concrete arch was built well before my time!! the sugarhouse is only used as a sap collection sight now, by my parents neighbors. So, i'm assuming it can be one!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

+ Reply to Thread