+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fountain county!

Default Fountain county!

Tapped on January 30 with 59 buckets and 115 taps! Collected 150 gallons of sap the next day! Off to a good start! 2.6% sugar content. Started boiling today, February 1st!

Have poured 17 gallons of syrup so far this season!! Sap has been running good. It’s been coming in at 2.4% then I run it through my homemade RO and it brings it up to 4%.

I got over run with sap yesterday and so I ran all of it through my RO to get it in the gravity fed storage tote, then to make sure I wouldn’t have it spoil, I kept cycling through my RO. By the time it was gravity flowing to the pan it was 7.5%.

I got through 700 gallons of water today in 8 hours on my 2’x6’ evaporator!

It’s a good day!

Quote Originally Posted by spiceman View Post
    Have poured 17 gallons of syrup so far this season!! Sap has been running good. It’s been coming in at 2.4% then I run it through my homemade RO and it brings it up to 4%.

I got over run with sap yesterday and so I ran all of it through my RO to get it in the gravity fed storage tote, then to make sure I wouldn’t have it spoil, I kept cycling through my RO. By the time it was gravity flowing to the pan it was 7.5%.

I got through 700 gallons of water today in 8 hours on my 2’x6’ evaporator!

It’s a good day!
    I'd say so! I never get that level of production from my trees! Way to go... let us know how much syrup you wind up with! I haven't even been to check on my collection for almost a week and a half because we've hovered right above freezing and my woods are so dense they warm up slowly. I'm actually looking forward to the deep freeze we should get tomorrow and Friday and then I hope the warmup on Sunday and Monday will bring good things.
    2014 - 8 taps, turkey fryer, 130 gallons sap, just under 2.5 gallons syrup.
    2015 - 50 taps and counting.
    2016 - 60 taps on 3/16 and a Bill Mason evaporator on order.
    2017 - 115 taps on 3/16, homemade r/o.
    2018 - 150 taps on 3/16, r/o a big help, but lots of leaks killing yield.
    2019 - sticking with 150 taps or maybe less, focusing on good vacuum and less waste to increase yield. Doubling up my r/o, and made a vacuum filter that looks promising.

Hey Andrew!

Poured an additional 6 1/2 gallons of syrup over the weekend. Trees unthawed today and ran pretty well after the deep freeze. I’m at 23 1/2 gallons of syrup so far this year!!

I hope your trees run well and have a great season!!

Hey Andrew!

Poured an additional 6 1/2 gallons of syrup over the weekend. Trees unthawed today and ran pretty well after the deep freeze. I’m at 23 1/2 gallons of syrup so far this year!!

I hope your trees run well and have a great season!!
    Wow! I went down today to my sugarbush and I was thrilled to have 200+ gallons of sap at 1.5%...nowhere near your numbers! One of these days I want to come see how you do it...or what I'm doing wrong. Hope it keeps flowing for you!
    2019 - sticking with 150 taps or maybe less, focusing on good vacuum and less waste to increase yield. Doubling up my r/o, and made a vacuum filter that looks promising.

Hey Andrew!

Come anytime you want! You are more than welcome! It’s been a great year so far, we just passed 35 gallons this season! Hoping to hit our goal of 50 over the weekend or early next month. Then pulling the taps and cleaning up.

Hit our goal of 50 gallons on Wednesday. Cleaned sugar camp up and pulled all our taps. Great season!! Hope everyone has a great year as well!!

Hit our goal of 50 gallons on Wednesday. Cleaned sugar camp up and pulled all our taps. Great season!! Hope everyone has a great year as well!!
    Nice! I'm going to try to squeeze a little more out of it, but this warm weather is not good for a guy like me who lives an hour and a half from his trees. Went down today and brought home 50 gallons of sap that I'm processing now, and hopefully what flows tomorrow won't spoil before I get back down Tuesday!

+ Reply to Thread