+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Backyard Syrup Enthusiasts 2020

Thanks for the tip Dave! Checked in with Bill and he agrees to raise the front up to the 2" below the pan mark. I'll take care of that when I mortar.

OK now really done bricking.

IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg

It will become very obvious how that helps when you boil, you will see a very hard boil over that partition. It will be the hardest in the entire pan. Much of the heat causing that would have otherwise gone up the stack.
    Dave Klish about 1320 taps in '15, downsized after I lost my help, about 450-500 planned for 2021 (and after?)
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered
    http://s1041.photobucket.com/albums/...anssugarhouse/

That is just how my half-pint is bricked. You will like boiling with that rig.
    2016 - helped at afriend with a small operation, 300+ taps. = hooked
    2017 - 20 taps @ home, 1 gal @ home on propane, then hauled to friends operation
    Bought a whole shack locally, with a Leader 1/2 Pint, moved it home
    2018 - 50 taps, 9 on 3/16 gravity and 41 pails -14 gallons of good sweet stuff
    2019 - 27 taps, 17 on 3/16 gravity and 10 on pails - 12-3/4 gallons of good sweet stuff (most fun I've had with this hobby)

Hope everyone is having a great, albeit dry, summer so far. I was surprised to see some new posts.

I have had an issue with my rear pan (of three) not getting hot till the fire has been going a while. This partition might be a good idea to get it hotter faster. I'll put it on the fall list of things to do!

Good luck Aaron with your new set-up. Looks great.
    2x4 concrete block arch with three steam trays
    Separate warming stove/steam tray
    2016 12 taps, 3 gallons
    2018 15 taps, 7 gallons
    2019 38 taps, 13.6 gallons
    2020 40 taps, 13.7 gallons
    Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

The next piece of advice is to never use a damper on an wood fired evaporator smoke stack and give it loads of combustion air. A blower help with that. An evaporator works best when it burns as hot as you can get it, but be sure to never run low in the pans or you will burn them. A good starting depth is about 2", but after you get familiar with that gradually start reducing the pan depth until you get to 1-1.25". Then don't leave it unattended and keep an OH $#!T bucket of sap or potable water ready if things get away from you.
    Keep it fun!
    Dave Klish about 1320 taps in '15, downsized after I lost my help, about 450-500 planned for 2021 (and after?)
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered
    http://s1041.photobucket.com/albums/...anssugarhouse/

Got the carport (a.k.a. woodshed & sap storage building) set up today. The instructions that came along with the free carport were for a totally different model so that was a bit of excitement. The back and front walls were useless so I’ll be getting creative on coverings for those. Next step is to build a box out of pallets for the back end next weekend – should be able to hold about 3 cords of wood. Pallets are free and I have nails, a hammer, and a circular saw so total cost so far is about $10!

My tree count is growing. The friend’s place I was hoping for 9 has loads and loads of sugar maples right on the edge of their lawn so I’m increasing my tap goal to 50 for next year, and seriously considering RO as a result.

So two questions today:

Just how big of a storage tank do I need if I’m planning to boil on weekends? I’ve read I should be planning for a max of 2 gallons per tap, 4 times a week… so should I really be thinking in the 400-500 gallon range? There’s room in the carport for 2 of the IBC totes if that assumption is realistic.

On RO ratings, I’ve seen some postings for 100 gph rated RO units that have my attention – is that generally a sap processing rating or the concentrate produced? The RO bucket might be enough to use “in-line” but it might be worth the extra spending this year to think larger RO and cut down the boiling time and have room to grow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345