+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Backyard Syrup Enthusiasts 2020

i think that is a very creative set up and applaud her for that. Keep it going as long as you can. Once bitten the bug stays with you.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

I decided to pull the taps this weekend. I've got 175 gallons in the snowbank to boil (starting tomorrow) which means three more boils over the next week. That's enough to keep me going. I've seen a few taps dry up and the sugar drop on several others. I recently limited collecting to those taps above 1.8%, the theory being I boil 55+ gallons at a time and at that level I can get a gallon. I'll update the results of the boils and a yearly total as I proceed. I hope everyone enjoys the last days of the season!
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

As of today I've got 55 gallons left to boil which is planned for Saturday. I've tested the sugar and it is all near 2 so that will give another 1 to 1.25 gallons, which will make the yearly total at around 13.7 gallons which is nearly identical to last season. I will have boiled nearly 582 gallons which gives an overall sugar of 2.4%. There is the difference between seasons. I put more effort into this year due to a lower sugar content. I never had a boil with anything near 3 or more which I did last year. Still tastes just as good! Actually, the batch I did Tuesday was still a nice amber, no buddy taste, and quite a delicate flavor. I assume this last batch will be the same though it has been in the snowbank longer and could be clouding up some. My return was 1.37 quarts of syrup per tree.

I need a few more buckets of storage for next yeat, plus I've already acquired a bunch of 2 gallon buckets for select trees that overrun gallon jugs on a daily basis. This will make collecting easier and I won't miss any.

A good season overall- I hope all have found it enjoyable. Take care!
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Hi Folks!

First time sugar-er and poster, long time dreamer, here looking for some advice. I ran a proof of concept this season here in the middle Springfield, MA by tapping the lone Norway Maple in my yard. 2 buckets boiled on a turkey fryer. I tapped very late (March 13) and it stopped giving me sap around the 27th. A grand total of about 3 gallons of sap gave me at best a whole half-pint, but it sure tasted sweet!

I’m planning for next year and wondering if there is any correlation to the amount of sap you would get for a certain number of buckets? I’m working on connecting with the fire marshal to see if I can get a permit to build a wood-fired cinder block arch topped with a 20 gallon (I think that’s what the add is telling me) 18x34x6 divided maple syrup pan so I can do the boiling here at home. At least that’s what I have in mind as working with for equipment. If the fire marshal says no I can set it up at my Dad’s so either way IT’S ON!

I see in a lot of people’s signatures on their post stats like 2016 12 taps, 3 gallons … 2018 15 taps, 7 gallons … 2019 38 taps, 13.6 gallons … etc., and wondered how many trees or taps I would need if I wanted to get some good usage out of the setup…? I have access to 15 acres of woodland that is a couple miles from a currently running sugar shack (but about 45 minutes away), there are about 12 good-sized Norways in the adjoining neighbor’s yards (several of which are large enough for 2-3 taps) I will ask to tap, plus Dad’s yard has a couple and a friend has two huge Sugars. There is also a former sugar shack turned dairy farm down the road from the friends I'm working on an introduction to (darn COVID!) … so finding trees shouldn’t be an issue.

For storage I was thinking of getting 2 55-gallon barrels which would be around 2 gallons of syrup if they were filled to the brim. I can store them in my unheated garage, collect during the week, and boil on weekends. I’m a homebody so even if it takes all weekend to boil and finish, I’m good with that.

That’s the master plan anyways, any thoughts on how many taps I should be thinking of?

A - Backyard Buckets.jpg F - Finished Product.jpg

Welcome Aaron! Once bit by the maple bug I'm afraid you're doomed.

I plan on a quart of syrup per tap, which generally is a slight underestimate. I do 40 taps figuring I'll get 40 quarts of syrup or 10 gallons. I end up with 30% more than that but you can see the logic. It is really about sugar content of the sap that will dictate the amount you need to collect. A 40:1 ratio is 2.5% sugar, so in my scenario above in order to get the 10 gallons I would need 400 gallons of sap at 2.5%. I use the 2.5% as an average for my trees as it seems to be close. Your mileage may vary. I would highly suggest a portable refractometer. They are not expensive and a great tool to check sugar content. The more you can do to keep the sap cold, the better the product. There are standards for how many taps per tree based on tree diameter which are readily available on-line. The type of maples make a big difference with sugar content, and thus the potential number of taps to get your goal. Mine are mostly sugar maple with a few reds.

I hope this helps. Your syrup looked great! Enjoy planning for next season.

Thanks MV!

A refractometer is already on the list as is a chainsaw and measuring wheel to help map the property, among other things.

40 taps/10 gallons of syrup sounds good to me – not knowing what I’m signing up for – HAH! My family and friends were very sad I didn’t get bucket loads of syrup but enjoyed the video and picture updates I sent during production this year so let’s see what I can do. I’m also a bit of a baker and cook so starting a collection of recipes to try once I have tons of syrup next year.

Made a field-guide of sorts to help with tree ID and once I get the spring lawn cleaning done I’ll be doing some spring camping at the property to see what I have for trees. If I have the 40-tap potential there I foresee the chainsaw purchase very early this year along with sore arms and shoulders from splitting wood all summer…..
    My x-wife used to call it the bee in my bonnet and I am a production planner/project manager by trade – so that bee is buzzing like mad planning the details trying (really… trying my best) not to run for world domination all at once .

Aaron: You'll have a great time managing your maples, and it sounds like you'll have plenty to do in the off season. Even though I have quite a bit of acreage and a lot of trees, I find a considerable amount of wood along the roadside particularly from power line trimming. They leave it for people to pick up. I burn most anything, and I find pine, nice and dry, to make a hot fire. It doesn't last long, but it heats up quick. I use a mix of pine and poplar since I have an abundance, and as long as I don't mind feeding the fire, the wood is free. I save the better hardwood for the house. If you're ax splitting, pine might be a pain. Since I love Stihl saws, I'll put in a plug for those. I've got an 026 from 1996 and an MS390 with a larger bar. Never a problem. Love em!

Good luck throughout your off season and see you next year!

I've been busy the last couple months.

Shooting for 25 taps next year and I identified 14 red maples that will support 16 taps at Dad's. The rest are coming from about 10 minutes away at a friend's place, 9 sugar taps. Also walked my Uncle's property an hour away with a state forester yesterday. In two hours we tagged 75 maples (70 sugars and 5 reds) which covered only about 40 percent of the 15 acres. He mentioned the word "exceptional" quantity of sugars. At least I can point them out pretty easily now. That land is probably on the three-five year plan due to the distance and I need to come up with a way to get the sap out of there.

Took a ride up to Mason's last week and picked up an arch to fit my 20 x 30 Vermont Evaporator pan. Bricked it today and I have to say I'm pleased with how it turned out. Waiting to mortar it until the site at Dad's is ready. Going with a carport and a 10 x 10 vendor tent because I realize I am going to spend a bundle on either a ATV/UTV/Tractor before next year.

Arch and bricking progress pics below:

IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg

And the rest

IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg

Oh and I have access to all the free wood I can burn. My son works at a pressure treating plant and they have untreated "ends" I can grab by the truckload. Nicely bundled to load with his forklift. I'll still need that chainsaw to cut them as they are too long for my firebox, then split them... so exercise will be had. Hazzah!
    Last edited by Aaron Stack; 06-17-2020 at 05:53 PM.

Is that how Bill Mason suggests bricking that arch? Back when I had a half pint the bricking design called for a partition about where you start the elevated part. Leader said the partition was to be up to about 1.25-1.5" from the bottom of the pan, then from there back to the flue exit it was like what you have. According to the directions that forced the heat up to the pan. The partition was just fire bricks laid flat and refractory mortored in. You may want to check with Bill to see if he suggests that.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast