+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DE and cone filters

Default DE and cone filters

So I'm pretty happy with my filtering process and end up with very clear syrup with zero settling in glass bottles. That said, my bottling is a lengthy process. I use a filter box with a home-made water jacket to keep the syrup hot. I run a wool filter with usually two pre-filters inside it. I pull the pre-filters and rinse out the wool filter about every 4-5 gallons of syrup. Basically every time I fill and empty the filter box. Not the end of the world but it takes time.

I keep finding threads about people using DE in flat filter boxes. I thought it was only used with filter presses? Will mixing a cup of DE into my 5-gallon batches help keep the wool filter clean and allow my more than one 5-gallon batch between rinsing the wool filter? Will it help trap most of the impurities in the pre-filter requiring only that be changed every batch?

I've also purchased a Smokey Lake water jacket filter/bottler but I'm not sure if that will be any better than what I'm already using.

Thanks.

Pictures of my current water jacket filter box;

db2.jpg

db3.JPG
    1980 - 6 taps, stone fire pit, drain pan evaporator, 1 pint of syrup
    2016 - 55 taps on 3/16 and gravity, new sugar shack, 2x3 Mason XL, 16 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 170 taps on 3/16, 2x4 Mason XL, NextGen RO. 50 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 250+ taps on gravity and buckets, 2x5 Smokey Lake arch and Beaverland pan.
    2019 - 250+ taps on gravity. A few buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.
    2020 - 300+ taps on gravity. 50 gallons of syrup.
    2021 - 280 taps on gravity and 40 buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.

I use to filter it all through cone felts and a couple prefilters. (only 150 gallon per year) Yes your process sounds about normal. The DE may help? I never tried DE with syrup on gravity. I guess I have heard of folks using it. But not sure it is any big time saver. Thanks for the pictures. The square tank is good. Maybe add additional plumbing to allow you to bottle easier?
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I was told I should use filter aid. It is ground up DE.
    I would like to know if anyone does this?
    Does it help?
    25 years sugaring
    2018 191taps. Made 80 gallons
    Two taps to a 5 gallon bucket roadside trees.
    A retired dad to hump buckets and do most of the boiling the great wife that let's me spend lots of time and money.
    New Smokey lake 2×6 raised flue SSR on my own version of the silverplate arch.
    2019 new hood and new preheater concept that worked great.
    306 taps roadside trees

Should be the same product. Just get food grade not pool DE.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

Yes it will help a little , I used DE with flat filters years ago before I got a press. I added 1/2cup per gallon.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

I’ve thought about using DE but I think the issue is you wash and reuse your filter and prefilters instead of throwing them away like they do with filter press papers. So the DE is going to be impossible to wash out and may contaminate your syrup. Although DE is a natural substance it is hazardous like finely ground glass.

Quote Originally Posted by pobryan View Post
    I’ve thought about using DE but I think the issue is you wash and reuse your filter and prefilters instead of throwing them away like they do with filter press papers. So the DE is going to be impossible to wash out and may contaminate your syrup. Although DE is a natural substance it is hazardous like finely ground glass.
    Realize that there are filtering systems that use DE and the filters are reusable too. Siro systems are like that.
    I believe the DE needs to be soaked and rinsed out of the reusable filters. That's the way we do it.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    Realize that there are filtering systems that use DE and the filters are reusable too. Siro systems are like that.
    I believe the DE needs to be soaked and rinsed out of the reusable filters. That's the way we do it.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Very interesting. I did not know that. So you are using DE with cone filters?

Used my Smokey Lake bottler this weekend and really like it. Ran 7 gallons through it and only pulled one pre-filter in the middle of the batch. Filters are easier to clean than the big cone filter and the pre-filters wash easily too. That said, I let my syrup sit overnight and then reheat in a double boiler before bottling. 90% of the niter settles out and never hits the filter.

IMG_6357.jpg

IMG_6375.jpg

IMG_6376.jpg
    1980 - 6 taps, stone fire pit, drain pan evaporator, 1 pint of syrup
    2016 - 55 taps on 3/16 and gravity, new sugar shack, 2x3 Mason XL, 16 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 170 taps on 3/16, 2x4 Mason XL, NextGen RO. 50 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 250+ taps on gravity and buckets, 2x5 Smokey Lake arch and Beaverland pan.
    2019 - 250+ taps on gravity. A few buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.
    2020 - 300+ taps on gravity. 50 gallons of syrup.
    2021 - 280 taps on gravity and 40 buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.

I never used it before I got my filter press, but I have read that several have used DE. Based on what I have read, I suggest you use 1/2 cup for the first gal, then with larger batches add 1/4 cup for each additional gal. Use food grade from a maple supplier, not all food grade DE 's are the same size grind.
    When you start, if you have lets say 3 gal batch to filter, add 1/2 cup + 2x 1/4 cup =1 cup, if 5 gal, add 1.5 cups. Pour it into the pot with the hot syrup, (over 180F but not over 210F) mix well then pour the syrup into the filter rack. In the rack, have a wool (or better an Orlon) filter with 2 or 3 pre-filters on top. The hotter you can keep the filtering syrup the better it will flow.
    When DE is used, actually the DE is the filter (considered to be the best filter medium available). A filter cake will build up, as the DE along with the sugar sand (niter) are filtered out. The interval before cleaning (or removing the first pre-filter) is lengthened because the DE spreads out the niter and the DE does not plug the filter.
    While I said I never used it, years ago I bought a bunch of equipment from a retiring producer who made lots of syrup and he only used flat filters with DE. I don't recall the amount of syrup but he had a large RO, something like 1200 GPH and that fed an oil fired 4x14 evaporator. He had 6-8 large square filter tanks, about 2.5-3' square to filter the syrup. I saw some of his syrup in glass, it was perfectly clear.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread