+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Willow Creek Sugarhouse 2020

went through and pulled about another 20 taps today. just trying to keep it going!!! sap backed up today heavy snow pulled down my brace that it holding up the tarp on my mechanical releaser across the street well the weight of the tarp then wouldn't let float rod do it job backed but still allowed some sap to into the vac. changed the oil got out the remaining sap out of the moisture trap and back in business. I don't think it was down very long. Still not much sap today still defrosting I think but we'll see its still coming though. guessing I don't have much time left we'll see if we can make it until the end of the week.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

The clock is ticking. The forecasted temps look like this weekend might be the end. I didn't get much sap overnight so I don't think that you missed much.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Well I think its the end for my woods at least. lots of buds now and a very very slight off flavor to the syrup right at the end but it doesn't linger underlying flavor is very good. since the reds are petering out the good flavor must be from the sugar maple sap. My syrup always lightens up this time of year graded at a 48 transmittance yesterday. but lots of defoamer which means end of year sap with lots of brown nasty foam from bacteria and unwanted impurities.

So since the weather this coming week is still somewhat favorable for sugaring I turned off my woods from the vacuum since its mostly reds and only have about 35 or so sugar maples across the street so I am gonna pull the reds and keep the sugars on line and my 30+- buckets are on sugars are still flowing very good. I swear 2 trees have never stopped this year they are tapped on the cold facing north east and have full or overflowing bags every time I empty. if I make another 5 gallons or what ever its another 5 gallons for a bad season. with only those trees on the vac. I will be pulling 29" easy. those woods are very tight and no sap ladders. my trees came in a whopping .5 %ssc while buckets are still running 1.25 or better. collected 112 gallons from buckets and across the street on wednesday. I will empty them again today.

We didn't get a freeze last night but they are still dripping and should get a freeze tonight.

good luck to those still going.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

Good luck Brad. I hope that the freeze gets you some good sap.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

well lack of freezes forced me to shut down. even the sugarmaple buds are beginning to swell. no more sap coming in. one or 2 buckets barely have wet taps an nothing coming in on vac either. 100 gallons of sap to process today. which is fine it will top off my permeate tank. I ususaly do a double wash at the and full 300 gallon rinse and then then add the perservative. All taps are pulled except 20 across the street. started on the clean up a bit ROed that 100 gallons of sap(its not that good pretty yeasty) and get that done should be a quick one but lots of defoamer I am sure get the back pan as sweet as possible to make the final cleanout boil as fast as possible. maybe 15 gallons after processing and rinsing out the sugar evap won't even get up to full temp before its gone. but it will get whats in there sanitized let it settle filter the back pan and finish it off.

pretty good sales continuing so thats good at least.

This will be my final visit to the trader this year hope everyone did pretty good and the northern folks are still rolling along!!!

Everyone stay healthy, stay home, stay safe and have a good year. Hopefully next season we can get back to normal!!!
    See ya everyone!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234