+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rough time frame to Tap in NH?

Default Rough time frame to Tap in NH?

Do you guys have a rough time frame for when you plan to tap? I am looking to wait until late February, but I am seeing folks going for the early stuff. Could this be weather related?

You're better off to wait. The daytime highs are tempting but the sun is still low in the sky and the trees don't have long to thaw out. That and the nighttime lows are still cold. You might get a couple decent runs but then it will most likely not run great for a while. I usually wait until after presidents day at the earliest. March is the month for syrup in NH.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

How are you collecting sap? Gravity (buckets, bags, gravity tubing) or with vacuum? How clean are your spouts and droplines (new, CV spouts, new drops, bleach cleaned?).

Generally gravity systems will last approx 4-6 weeks, less sanitized maybe a bit less, more sanitized a bit more. With vacuum systems it'll be 10-12 weeks, again with more highly sanitized systems lasting longer than non-sanitized systems. Thus on vacuum systems you have more leeway in terms of tapping early than on gravity systems.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I'm in Loudon and usually plan to tap on Presidents Day weekend. I have tapped as early as February 1st in the past and have also waited until March 13th because of the weather. I was tempted to drill some holes yesterday but know that it's still too early despite the warm weather.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Generally gravity systems will last approx 4-6 weeks, less sanitized maybe a bit less, more sanitized a bit more. With vacuum systems it'll be 10-12 weeks, again with more highly sanitized systems lasting longer than non-sanitized systems. Thus on vacuum systems you have more leeway in terms of tapping early than on gravity systems.
    Interesting to have actual numbers for this. Since you have the data, how long would you expect taps to stay open for a system with CV spouts and 3/16 tubing on a steep hill pulling nearly full vacuum, but no vacuum pump?

I've tapped in late January and early February many years. I have a combo of buckets and gravity tubing, no vac. Early runs are good, but it usually freezes up again and no good runs for a few weeks. I'm holding off on the urge this year.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    2x6 Leader WSE Evaporator
    30 buckets
    160 +/- 5/16" taps on gravity tubing

I'm in central NYS, but back when I had my highest tap count and had 3 college students working for me, I tapped 3 years, finishing no later than Jan 20, because they returned to school then. With good sanitation and on good vacuum 10-12 weeks can be achieved, unless you get crazy warm temps for too long.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverBrookMaple View Post
    Do you guys have a rough time frame for when you plan to tap? I am looking to wait until late February, but I am seeing folks going for the early stuff. Could this be weather related?
    Where in NH are you? There can be a 3-4 week difference in starting time for sugaring between the seacoast area of NH and the northern tip. In my location, Walpole NH in the hills at 1150 feet elevation, I usually tap around the 3rd week of February but watch the weather closely and adjust accordingly.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

We're relatively new to the hobby as this will be our fifth season, but we do keep a lot of data on our trees. The average start date for us is right around Valentine's day. We are on gravity and stay tapped in for about 7-8 weeks on average. We have a microclimate at Elevation 750 feet that keeps us cooler than most areas, so we can tolerate the warm spells better than most. We normally have snow on the ground until about May 1.
    2015- Didn't know my new property enough to tap anything. 4-feet of snow on the ground.
    2016- 41 Taps with home made barrel evaporator. Made 1.5 gallons syrup.
    2017- 79 Taps with home made block arch evaporator. Made 2.47 gallons syrup
    2018- 91 Taps again with home made block arch. Homemade RO worked great. Made 6.96 gallons syrup.
    2019- 84 Taps. Building another arch. RO in place. New Smoky Lake 2x4 Divided Pan. Everything switched to 3/16" tubing.

Looking at February 14ish … no earlier …
    Any sap you get between now and then is more of a nuisance sap … can't get enough to RO it and don't like boiling raw sap …
    So we will just wait …
    Got stuff to do to gat ready anyway …. get tanks out … get the RO ready … clean the sugarhouse …
    We usually keep the taps in until mid April … so plenty of time …
    2x5 SS home design on a home design arch w/ forced draft
    SS Evaporation Enhancement Unit
    Home design filter / canner
    Daryl Sheets filter press
    300 taps (280 on line, 20 buckets)
    120 gph Home Design RO
    2017 Chevy Silverado w/ 275 gallon tank
    8x16 sugarhouse w/ attached woodshed
    A wife, family and friends that love to help!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast